Suggested guidance for creating MV-HEVC video files?

After taking a look at the Deliver Video Content for Spatial Experiences session, alongside the Destination Video sample code, I'm a bit unclear on how one might go about creating stereoscopic content that can be bundled up as a MV-HEVC file and played on Vision Pro.

I see the ISO Base Media File Format and Apple HEVC Stereo Video format specifications, alongside new mvhevc1440x1440 output presets in AVFoundation, but I'm unclear what sort of camera equipment could be used to create stereoscopic content and how one might be able to create a MV-HEVC using a command-line tool that leverages AVFoundation/VideoToolbox, or something like Final Cut Pro.

Is such guidance available on how to film and create this type of file? Thanks!

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of brandonK212 Down vote post of brandonK212
3.7k views
  • Any updates for how to transcode or encode these files? I have stereo frames/video and want to encode to view on apple spatial video players.

Add a Comment

Replies

You will be able to use the iPhone 15 Pro Max to capture such videos.

To use iPhone 15 Pro Max to create content may be ok for some users but there are plenty of existing devices capable to produce stereoscopic video material. It would be interesting to know what it needs to convert existing videos in the new video format.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of MTei Down vote reply of MTei

You can film regular stereoscopic left/right content and encode it into MV-HEVC using Halocline. I am affiliated with the project, so please reach out if you have any questions or concerns.

• Appreciate your reply and innovation here! I am more-so looking for a local way to do file conversions from existing stereoscopic video, leveraging an iOS, macOS, or visionOS API, not necessarily a cloud-based service. The referenced WWDC session "Deliver video content for spatial experiences" provides great technical detail on what the expected files look like, but I haven't figured out how to tie all that together to do the conversion using anything like AVExportSession or an AVAssetWriter.

• Tried this Halocline website. The downloaded content is of type .mov. looks like a normal video to me

• MOV is the container format, while MV-HEVC is the codec format. The resulting .mov is what you should have.

Add a Comment

What is Halocline? Do you have url?

• https://haloclinetech.com It's a spatial video streaming service.

• How to encapsulate a mv-hevc stream into a mp4 file other than a mov file?

• @MiaLiu I can help you convert mp4 to mov

Add a Comment

Appreciate the reply but I also would like to understand how to edit content (either filmed form iPhone 15 or other cameras) in Final Cut to produce MV-HEVC that I can add to my Photos App Library.

• Final Cut Pro should at some point have HV-HEVC. I wish they had it out already.

Add a Comment