Network Extension, Mac App Store distribution, and software update

If I distribute an app through the Mac App Store that includes a Network Extension that must be installed (and getting the user's permission in the process), and later I submit an update to the app (although no changes to the network extension piece) through MAS, will the user need to re-install the Network Extension?

That is, does updating an app with that has a Network Extension remove the previous Network Extension from the system?

Accepted Reply

It depends on how you package the NE provider:

• If it’s an appex, the appex is bundled within your app and it’ll be replaced by the update.

• If it’s a sysex, the system has made its own private copy of the sysex that’s outside of your bundle. After the update, your new app will we working with the old sysex. You can use System Extensions framework to update the system’s copy.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Good. This is the behavior I was hoping for. I'm using a content filter provider for macOS, so I am using the System Extension approach.

Add a Comment

Replies

It depends on how you package the NE provider:

• If it’s an appex, the appex is bundled within your app and it’ll be replaced by the update.

• If it’s a sysex, the system has made its own private copy of the sysex that’s outside of your bundle. After the update, your new app will we working with the old sysex. You can use System Extensions framework to update the system’s copy.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Good. This is the behavior I was hoping for. I'm using a content filter provider for macOS, so I am using the System Extension approach.

Add a Comment