How 3-party password manager can save and offer passkeys on iOS, iPadOS, and macOS

in https://developer.apple.com/passkeys/ "What’s new", it mentions "Password manager apps can save and offer passkeys on iOS, iPadOS, and macOS." Does it means Apple provide api for developer to do that?

• i.e. 3-party password manager apps can save and offer passkeys on iOS, iPadOS, and macOS by using new api.

Add a Comment

Replies

There is new API available to Credential Provider Extensions to support passkeys as well as passwords. Documentation can be found here.

• Hey does this apply in a safari extension? Or is it possible to use a passkey linked to my app/site in a Safari extension?

For example, if a user opens my Safari extension while on another website (say apple.com) can I then sign the user into the extension using their passkey from my site?

• It's currently not supported to use a passkey directly from the web context of an extension. However, Safari extensions are able to launch and send messages to their native app. Your extensions could launch your app, perform the sign in there, and return auth tokens/cookies to the extension. If you'd still like to be able to sign in directly in the extension, please let us know through Feedback Assistant!

Add a Comment