Xcode 15 beta 7 Previews building issue

Summary

When trying to display SwiftUI previews, building the previews may fail with the following error:

Linking failed: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

ld: warning: search path '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/SharedFrameworks-iphonesimulator' not found
    ld: warning: Could not find or use auto-linked framework 'CoreAudioTypes': framework 'CoreAudioTypes' not found

Note that may app does not use CoreAudioTypes.

Observation

This issue seems to occur when two conditions are met:

1. The SwiftUI view must be located in a Swift Package
  2. Somewhere in either the View or the #Preview a type from another package has to be used.

Say I have to packages one named Model-package and one named UI-Package. The UI-Package depends on the Model-Package. If I have a SwiftUI view in the UI-Package that uses a type of the Model-Package either in the View itself or in the #Preview, then the described error occurs. If I have a View in the UI-package that does not use a type of the Model-Package anywhere in its View or #Preview then the SwiftUI Preview builds and renders successful.

I created a bug report: FB13033812

Replies

I'm still experiencing this issue.. Any tips?

The same issue there using the FirebaseAuth 11.3.0 Unity plugin for generating xcworkspace.

I'm seeing the same 'CoreAudioTypes' build error when attempting to run UITests on Version 15.1 beta 3 (15C5059c)

Could not find or use auto-linked framework 'CoreAudioTypes': framework 'CoreAudioTypes' not found

My app does not use 'CoreAudioTypes'. From what I see, this error message obscures the actual issue in a build.

I saw the same message, but I don't know it is the same problem.

I removed "import AVFoundation" from my app, and other linking errors occurred. I fixed these other linking errors, and the error of "framework 'CoreAudioTypes' not found" was gone.

It was not the 'CoreAudioTypes' framework problem. I think this error message is misleading.

• Do you remember what other linking errors did you have to solve?

In my case the app can be built, but all the tests targets don't work (Unit Tests, Integreation Tests, UI Tests). I tried removing "import AVFoundation" and removed all the code related to it but it still didn't work.

I always get this: Could not find or use auto-linked framework 'CoreAudioTypes': framework 'CoreAudioTypes' not found Undefined symbols: Linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

• I am facing the same issue as you the app builds but all test targets do not I get the same error message as you even tried the xcode 15.2 beta and the issue is still there. Did you manage to solve the issue?

Add a Comment

This is so ridiculous. Why does every big build on XCode result in a week of trying to figure out how to make our apps run again. Is there any solution for this yet?

• Agreed. I have been building native iOS applications for the last 4 years and every time a major update comes to Xcode this is exactly what we have to do, but this time I have not found a solution to this, at least not one that works.

Add a Comment

Same here - Unity build to XCode - having only one issue and it's the CoreAudio hiccup...

I am having similar issues. clear derived data doesn't fix it.

Anyone know how to solve it?

I experienced this issue a couple of days ago. The message about "CoreAudioTypes" is completely misleading. In my case, the cause was that while removing some old code I had accidentally deleted a class that was still required. However, the only message that popped up when building was about "CoreAudioTypes" - when I restored the missing class, the message went away and the app built successfully.

You can try hunting around in the build logs for more detail when you see this.

Bottom line: When you see "CoreAudioTypes" it's almost certainly a red herring - you've messed up something else.

Bump - Was there ever a remedy for this? I'm pushing builds out of Unity 2022.3 LTS and having the same errors.

"framework' CoreAudioTypes' not found clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)"

Another bump. This is really frustrating. Reproduced in XCode 15.2 by creating a completely empty, new project. Add "CoreAudioTypes.framework" to the target "Frameworks, Libraries, and Embedded Content" list. Build the app and it fails with the errors...

• Framework 'CoreAudioTypes' not found
  • Linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

Remove the framework and the blank app compiles and runs on the device. No other Apple framework that I tested fails to build in this manner.

Apple have you figured this out yet??

I have reported this issue using the feedback assistant at the time I created this thread. I am having trouble creating a minimal example project that reproduces this issue. Igor me, this issue only occurs in my production app. f anyone can provide me an example project, I will attach it to my feedback report For Apple to inspect.

Same error with react-native 0.72.11 and Xcode 15.2

I got his error when I checked the "Undefined Behavior Sanitizer" option in the Target Run Scheme. Disabling the option solved the problem.

For Xcode 15.2 and React-native 0.63.5. Changing /swift-5.0/$(PLATFORM_NAME) to /swift-5.2/$(PLATFORM_NAME) solve the issue. (project.pbxproj)