Assistance Needed for Data Recovery from HD External Drive

I am using a 2021 MacBook Pro 16" with an Apple M1 Max chip and 64 GB of RAM, running macOS Ventura 13.6.

I have been using an external drive, the Seagate BarraCuda Compute 2TB Hard Drive. Last week, I used it about five times to save some photos and work on Excel files. However, when I tried to open it the following day, it prompted me for a password, but it failed to mount.

The partition type is Apple_HFS, and it is encrypted because I used it with Time Machine a few years ago.

I can hear the noise it typically makes when I was working on it, but it doesn't mount.

So, I attempted to view it in Disk Utility, but to no avail. I can see the drive, but the partition I use appears gray, and the Mac attempts to mount it. When I try to click on it in Disk Utility, the application crashes, and I have to force quit it.

I also tried purchasing a new external hard drive reader to use with my hard drive, but I encountered the same issue.

I also tried to work with the Terminal, but it responds very slowly. For example, the 'diskutil list' command took approximately 5 minutes to generate a response, and when I attempted to eject it, it didn't work and remained stuck loading.

I have the last six years of my life stored on this drive, so it would be incredible to recover the data. Do you have any suggestions?

Replies

These are the Developer Forums, where developers ask each other for hints and tips on coding. Your question is more of a support one, so I'd suggest you ask it over at the Apple Support Forums. Thanks.