Swift Charts performance when displaying many data points

I'm currently evaluating Swift Charts to use in my macOS app, where I need to (potentially) display a few millions of data points, ideally all of them at one time. I want to give users the possibility to zoom in & out, so the entire range of values could be displayed at one moment.

However, starting at around 20K data points (on my computer), the Chart takes a little bit to set up, but the window resizing is laggy. The performance seems to decrease linearly (?), when dealing with 100K data points you can barely resize the window and the Chart setup/creation is noticeable enough. Dealing with 500K data points is out of the question, the app is pretty much not useable.

So I'm wondering if anybody else had a similar issue and what can be done? Is there any "magic" Swift Charts setting that could improve the performance? I have a "data decimation" algorithm, and given no choice I will use it, but somehow I was hoping for Swift Charts to gracefully handle at least 100K data points (there are other libs which do this!). Also, limiting the displayed data range is out of the question for my case, this is a crucial feature of the app.

Here's the code that I'm using, but it's the most basic one:

struct DataPoint: Identifiable {
    var id: Double { Double(xValue) }
    let xValue: Int
    let yValue: Double
}

let dataPoints: [DataPoint] = (0..<100_000).map { DataPoint(xValue: $0, yValue: Double($0)) }

struct MyChart: View {

var body: some View {
        Chart(dataPoints) { dataPoint in
            PointMark(x: .value("Index", dataPoint.xValue),
                      y: .value("Y Value", dataPoint.yValue))
        }
    }
}

Some additional info, if it helps:

• The Chart is included in a AppKit window via NSHostingController (in my sample project the window contains nothing but the chart)
  • The computer is a MacBook Pro, 2019 and is running macOS 10.14
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of vbadeasv Down vote post of vbadeasv

Replies

Hey @vbadeasv, did you find a solution to your problem? I have the same problem with data that are bigger than 20000 points and in my case, not rendering the data in full spectrum is also not an option.