*** Assertion failure in -[_UISystemBackgroundView _internalSubviewsOfType:], _UISystemBackgroundView.m:133

Our application was working fine in iOS 16, but after upgrading to iOS 17.1.1, we see a 100% reproducible crash when generating a cell in the [UITableViewDataSource tableView: cellForRowAtIndexPath:] callback for a particular table. I've only found a single table so far where it crashes.

This is the line of code where it crashes:

ItemContentTableViewCell* cell = [tableView dequeueReusableCellWithIdentifier:simpleTableIdentifier forIndexPath:indexPath];

The crash occurs on the first call. Since it only crashes in this one table, I imagine it's somehow related to the particulars of the cell content layout, but as far as I can see, there's nothing spectacular going on there.

Any ideas?? Thanks.

Please submit a feedback report about this issue so that we can investigate it. At minimum, we need the complete crash report file to better understand the crash. But please also try to attach an Xcode project (preferably a minimal sample) that reproduces this issue as well.

Submitted feedback: FB13429408

I think the best option is to reproduce in the app store version. The app is Lineskip POS from LineSkip Inc. The app's Apple ID is 1051522633. Sign in is required. I'll assume you can use the account and password provided for App Review. If not, please let me know how I can get you the credentials.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Add an item to the cart (select By the Slice / Pepperoni)
  2. Tap the Pay & Send button
  3. Tap "Split Check"

This should result in a crash.

Hello, is this getting any attention? How can we escalate this? iOS 17 has broken a key feature in our product, and we've been unable to find a work-around.

*** Assertion failure in -[_UISystemBackgroundView _internalSubviewsOfType:], _UISystemBackgroundView.m:133

Q