Hardened runtime and kSecCodeStatusKill flag

For a unit test, we are building a (non-bundled) test executable with the ENABLE_HARDENED_RUNTIME build setting enabled (set to "YES"), which eventually causes codesign to be run with the "--option runtime" setting. The resulting binary has the "hardening" bit (0x1000) set in the code signature and there are no exceptions per entitlements.

In our unit test, we launch the test executable, obtain a SecCodeRef to the (dynamic) code using SecCodeCopyGuestWithAttributes() and inspect the flags in the signing information. We expect both kSecCodeStatusHard and kSecCodeStatusKill to be set for this code. When building and testing locally, this is always the case. When building and testing in our build pipeline, this is mostly the case, but every now and then, the test fails, because both "hard" and "kill" flags are missing from the signing information.

It is my understanding that the "runtime" option (or the "hardening" bit in the signature) causes those two flags to be set when the code executes - is this incorrect or not guaranteed?

If OTOH this is a correct understanding I would also assume that those flags are being set before the executable enters its main() function?

Any explanation why we sometimes don't see those flags in the SecCodeRef for the guest code?

It is my understanding that the "runtime" option (or the "hardening" bit in the signature) causes those two flags to be set when the code executes

That’s correct.

I would also assume that those flags are being set before the executable enters its main function?

That’s also correct. The kernel sets these flags on the process when its takes on the personality of the executable (after a posix_spawn or fork / exec*).

Any explanation why we sometimes don't see those flags in the SecCodeRef for the guest code?

Nothing springs to mind. If you create a static code ref, do you see the .hardened flag set there. For example:

import Foundation

func main() throws {
    let url = URL(fileURLWithPath: "/Applications/Pages.app/Contents/MacOS/Pages")
    // For `secCall(…)`, see <https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/710961>.
    let code = try secCall { SecStaticCodeCreateWithPath(url as NSURL, [], $0) }
    let info = try secCall { SecCodeCopySigningInformation(code, [], $0) } as! [String: Any]
    let rawFlags = info[kSecCodeInfoFlags as String]! as! SecCodeSignatureFlags.RawValue
    let flags = SecCodeSignatureFlags(rawValue: rawFlags)
    print(flags.contains(.runtime))
}

try! main()

Oh, one last thing. Make sure that your build pipeline is copying the executable safely. See Updating Mac Software.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Some more information:

• This can pass on one run and fail, with no code changes on the next, however as Jens explains the failure has the hardened flag set but not the hard and kill flags
  • We noticed the script we used in Xcode to build the test targets from the xctest app was passing on its environment and hence our test hardened apps had XCTest framework included, we removed this ( env -i xcodebuild ...) but still get the intermittent failures
  • The test signed/hardened apps are command line apps (as Jens said, no bundles)
  • only the hardening bit (0x10000) is set in the flags, and the dynamic status always has the same 0x10000 set but is 50/50 missing the 0x300 values:
    • Our log line shows us trying to AND the 0x301 with the dynamic status flags but failing to get the 0x300 matching, also not too sure what the high 0x22 bits are?
    • code for pid 15481 does not have required status : 0x22010001 does not match 0x00000301
    • Explicitly setting the hard and kill flags (and hardened) in codesign works fine, but it seems manual work compared to asking for hardened only

Our test command line app (the file create can be watched for by the launcher show we know the app is in main before we tests it's flags)

#import <Foundation/Foundation.h>

int main(int argc, const char * argv[]) {
    // if we have a filepath on the command line create a file so the caller knows we have started
    if (argc == 2) {
        // get the filepath
        NSString* filename = [NSString stringWithUTF8String:argv[1]];
        // fill with any data, we just use the filepath
        NSData* data = [filename dataUsingEncoding:NSUTF8StringEncoding];
        // write to a file
        [data writeToFile:filename atomically:true];
    }
    // Wait for ever, the caller will call terminate when they are done
    BOOL shouldKeepRunning = YES;        
    NSRunLoop *runLoop = [NSRunLoop currentRunLoop];
    while (shouldKeepRunning && [runLoop runMode:NSDefaultRunLoopMode beforeDate:[NSDate distantFuture]]) {
        sleep(1);
    }
}

With Quinn's test code:

• For pages app I got 0x12000
  • For failing cs-validation-test-hardened I got 0x10000
  • For passing cs-validation-test-hardened I got 0x10000

For Info:

• kSecCodeSignatureLibraryValidation = 0x2000
  • kSecCodeSignatureRuntime = 0x10000

All had runtime set, and I thought setting ENABLE_HARDENED_RUNTIME would also include library checking too?

we always get failures when [macOS] 12.6.9 is used

Is using to build the code? Or used to run it?

This matters because the codesign tool is part of macOS, which is different from most developer tools which are part of the Xcode (or Command Line Tools package) you select.

Share and Enjoy

The MS Azure provides the build VM and we request macOS-Latest (which is currently 12.7.1)

• When we get 12.7.1 the hardening test works as expected :-)
  • 50:50 we get 12.6.9 (which is strange since MS lists that we would get 12.7.1?)
  • We then git fetch all the code and do an xcodebuild test xxxx

On 12.6.9 we get the following:

• Fault with time server (we fixed this with an extra sync command)
  • The hardening flags are wrong, ie we ask for hardened and the dynamic test says we do NOT have the hard and kill flags set

So yes we are running the test app and the xcodebuild test (which uses the app) on a 12.6.9 VM

we are running the test app and the xcodebuild test … on a 12.6.9 VM

My natural inclination would be to separate these two, that is, build on one version and then test on another. I guess that’s kinda hard to do with your setup, but you could reasonably set up a smaller test to exercise this.

Share and Enjoy

Hardened runtime and kSecCodeStatusKill flag

Q