Apple Vision Pro Development Without the $299 Dongle?

Question. Is there a way to hook up the Apple Vision Pro to the Mac for development without using the $299 dongle? I was thinking of a USB-C cable from the battery to the Mac. Someone mentioned wireless, but usually one has to connect first.

Answered by waldgeist in 778674022

Just found this info on the Unity forums:

"you need to enable developer mode on the device in the settings. I think part of it was under General, it lets you pair the device with a mac. The other part was in privacy settings to enable developer mode. The device will reboot and then it’ll show up in xcode as a target."

What do you mean by the $299 dongle? I want to order a Vision Pro, but did not see this in the accessories list.

Apple is selling the dongle to developers to help them when they have an application with enhance graphics. It’s not being offered except through the developers website.

Accepted Answer

Just found this info on the Unity forums:

"you need to enable developer mode on the device in the settings. I think part of it was under General, it lets you pair the device with a mac. The other part was in privacy settings to enable developer mode. The device will reboot and then it’ll show up in xcode as a target."

You can deploy and debug wirelessly. The dongle is available for developers of applications with large assets, unstable WiFi, or corporate network policies.

🐐🪢… Developer Mode does not appear until you have paired your AVP with your Mac in Xcode.

This is presuming you are trying to get the UDID of the goggles for the developer registration of the device in the developer portal. This appears to be called "Identifier" instead of UDID as the other documentation specifies in the portal.

1. AVP: Open Settings -> General -> Remote Devices on the AVP which will show it is ready to pair
  2. Mac: Open Xcode -> Windows -> Devices and Simulators to see the goggles in the left bar
  3. Pair and follow all the prompts flipping back and forth for another 13 steps in this dance
Apple Vision Pro Development Without the $299 Dongle?

Q