Playgrounds

I've noticed Playgrounds crashing a lot lately, both on iPad and Mac. I have many Macs, Intel & M1, and 2 iPads, 7th Gen and 10.5" Pro. It's noticeably sluggish at the best of times progressively getting worse the last few updates, but worse than that it is hard crashing, losing data in the process. Anyone else seeing this? Not the end of the world, I'm a dev and use Xcode for anything substantial but I like to use Playgrounds on the iPad sometimes when I want to pop a quick idea down. I also plan to start creating playgrounds to help kids get into programming, so hoping this useful app isn't being neglected.

• I would add, it wasn't pushing the latest swiftui or swift lang features, just basic structures, arrays and optionals in this most recent instance.

Add a Comment

Replies

Have you tried rebooting the device?

iPad Playgrounds crashing used to be a common concern for me. At that time I was using a 1st gen iPad Pro and it would crash always if I used a // style comment, and crash often if I edited a String literal. (I contacted the devs about this but couldn’t produce some system log to their satisfaction and they couldn’t reproduce so nothing came of it).

Now, about 4 months ago I got a pretty pimmped out iPad and MacBook and iPad Playgrounds has been working great. No crashes… until oh no, it was a couple weeks ago iPad Playgrounds started crashing anytime I entered a ClosedRange like 0…5. OMG! I just spent 2k on this device specifically for iPad Playgrounds and it’s crashing again. Woe is me. Confirmed that in a brand new App project typing…

let i = 0…

…then finishing that with 5 it would crash, always. NOOOOO. Despair. But I rebooted the device and, welp, I can type ClosedRanges again 🤷‍♀️. It hasn’t crashed again since rebooting🤞

On the MacBook I haven’t really used the 2 different ‘Playgrounds’ available except to see what they are (the ‘Playgrounds’ project type in Xcode and the ‘Playgrounds’ app available on Mac). Neither crashed in the little that I used them.

So I don’t know why it crashes but a reboot seems to help in the one time it started crashing in iPad Playgrounds on my modern device (rebooting doesn’t help on my 1st gen iPad Pro though).