Researcher in Spatial Computing / HCI Looking to Use Enterprise APIs on Vision Pro for HCI Research-Only.

I am a spatial computing / XR and Human-Computer Interaction researcher from a private university. I am interested in using the vision pro's newly-exposed camera access to develop and evaluate new algorithms for computational perception. ( WWDC session here: https://developer.apple.com/wwdc24/10139 )

I understand this is targeted at large enterprises, but I would like to know if by some means as a researcher affiliated with an educational institution I could develop private for-development-only applications for the vision pro with the enterprise APIs enabled. The intent is not to publish apps, but rather to contribute to the research community through R&D.

However, to my knowledge, I would be ineligible as a normal "business" as I do not employee 100+ employees. I am an independent researcher, and on occasion, I collaborate within small research groups within my university that focus on this kind of camera-based perception algorithm development.

Could someone from Apple comment?

Thank you.

Answered by DTS Engineer in 790317022

Hi, That is the untitled/undecorated link shown as Development Only for the request. AFAIK it's active and viable for the foreseeable future.

If you're unable to access that link while logged in using a paid individual developer account then it may indeed require a business account so I'm looking into that now.

Hello, where did you read that it's exclusive to Apple Developer Enterprise Program members, this page suggests Enterprise API is available to regular Apple Developer Program users too.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/visionOS/building-spatial-experiences-for-business-apps-with-enterprise-apis

@sanercakir I clicked the developer only request button and it says I am not allowed to view the page. But I am not the account holder. I assumed that I needed to be an enterprise with 100+ employees and so on.

By the way, I am an individual account holder. Might I need to be a “business?”

In any case, please let me know how to resolve this, if I need to contact a certain department.

@KTRosenberg thank you for your interest!

Please submit a request using the provided link (currently https://developer.apple.com/go/?id=69613ca716fe11ef8ec848df370857f4).

The answers to your questions in the request will be used to determine the eligibility in this case.

@DTS Engineer

I see this:

"Your account can’t access this page.

There may be certain requirements to view this content. If you’re a member of a developer program, make sure your Account Holder has agreed the latest license agreement."

Is this link actually live, or is it planned to work after WWDC?

This is why I thought I needed to be a business — I don't see a way to gain access. I am just an individual who wants to do purely internal research via collaboration with my university. I 100% understand these APIs need to be used with care, and I don't intend to sell or distribute this specific part of the research potentially using these APIs.

Hi, That is the untitled/undecorated link shown as Development Only for the request. AFAIK it's active and viable for the foreseeable future.

If you're unable to access that link while logged in using a paid individual developer account then it may indeed require a business account so I'm looking into that now.

@DTS Engineer Actually I was able to access the form yesterday, so I filed a request with a very detailed description of what I want to do (for research dev only). I hope this will be accepted. It would be incredibly useful.

Glad to hear it!

@DTS Engineer Last thing: do you anticipate replies will roll-out next week? I understand this week has been super hectic given the event of course.

Researcher in Spatial Computing / HCI Looking to Use Enterprise APIs on Vision Pro for HCI Research-Only.

Q