Keyboard bug in MacOS

Keyboard selection is inconsistent, and I believe it's a bug - it's definitely not a behavior I would expect or have seen in any well-respected editor that comes with custom key bindings.

The problem is that Cmd+Shift+Right/Left selects the text by expanding the selection to the end/start of the line without ever deselecting the text if the cursor goes over existing selection.

The above behavior is opposite of selection by word via Option+Shift+Right/Left which has the right behavior.

This behavior exists in all apps that don't come with custom selection behavior. For example, Google Chrome, TextEdit, Slack, etc.

I spent a long time with Apple Support to fix this because this behavior doesn't work for me in XCode and it can be frustrating at times because I often have to use mouse which I don't like.

Can anyone help me improve this please?

If I understand correctly what you want, the shortcut is shift+Right/Left, without Cmd. I tested in Xcode.

Thanks for the quick response.

Not really. I want command with Cmd because Shift+Right/Left moves cursor by one (and does what I expect it to do just fine).

I want to go to the end of line and apply the same effect as if I press Shift+Right until the cursor gets to the end of the line.

Please file a report if you feel that this behavior is bugged. You can use the Feedback Assistant tool to upload additional information about your issue including logs from the device, https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/

After you create your report, reply here with the Feedback ID so I'll make sure the right people are aware of this issue

Keyboard bug in MacOS

Q