WiFi Signal in iOS?

I work for an internet service provider, and we are launching a new wireless mesh product. Our installation technicians are issued iOS devices exclusively to perform their daily tasks. I am wanting to build an application that will allow them to map and measure signal strength in the rooms of their customers' homes, and make recommendations on ideal locations where to add additional mesh nodes to provide full WiFi coverage in a customer's home.

I would prefer to access raw RSSI measurements, but my understanding is that there is no public API for this. Are there any avenues available to get permission to use a private API that provides raw RSSI?

If not, is there a public API that I can access to read whether I have one, two, or three wireless bars on the iPhone or iPad when I am connected to the WiFi network? I do not want the user to have to stare at the signal meter in the status bar. The goal would be to assign a value of good, marginal, or poor based on how many bars were present. My biggest challenge here would be during the validate coverage phase....I would have to ensure that the iOS device is steered to the new mesh node to get a new number of bars reading since there will be multiple BSSID's sharing a single SSID.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

See previous threads on this topic, such as the MLT links below, etc. https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/173814#173814

If not, is there a public API that I can access to read whether I have one, two, or three wireless bars on the iPhone or iPad when I am connected to the WiFi network?

iOS has very limited APIs for dealing with Wi-Fi. The current list of APIS is published in QA1942 iOS Wi-Fi Management APIs. You can read the Q&A yourself but I don’t think that any of them will meet your requirements.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

try to find solution in previous threads

• This is late coming, but this approach by Apple is so lame. I'm trying to develop an App that compares regular WiFi with HaLow (801.11ah )and I can't do it because of the "whatever the reason" Apple rules. Surely, being able to access the current RSSI, MCS and Bandwidth from your connected AP doesn't compromise anyone. - I can see the bars, I know I'm connected, I just want the underlying three numbers.

Add a Comment