iOS wifi link speed

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to get the Wifi connection link speed progamatically? We are building a service to download movies and the link speed will be used to determine the size of the file we are able to download in a conveniant time frame.

Thanks in Advance

Replies

I get this question a lot (typically by folks who care about WWAN, not Wi-Fi, but it's a direct map from one to the other) and the answer is always the same: using the link speed to estimate the network transfer rate is a bad idea, at least in the general case. The problem is that the link speed is rarely a good estimate of the actual transfer rate to your server.

The classic example of this is the Apple commuter shuttles, where the on-board Wi-Fi is backed by a WWAN uplink. However, there are many others. A particularly relevant one these days is the Personal Hotspot integration provided by iOS 8.

The approach I recommend—and it's the approach that Apple uses in HTTP Live Streaming—is to dynamically calculate the recent effective transfer rate as you do the transfer.

Finally, just to answer your specific question, there is no supported way to get information about the Wi-Fi interface (Wi-Fi technology, signal bars, channel, and so on).

Share and Enjoy

Quinn "The Eskimo!"
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"
  • Hi Eskimo! 😃

Even today, the answer still the same about get some WIFI connection like dBm, speed in swift? I need to get such information to our MEO app (Portuguese telecom company) to help Meo workers to check inside customers' home where the signal is good or not, and advice about where to install a extender to improve their wi-fi signal. But it has been complicated to understand these boundaries in swift. 😕

Thx Quinn!

Add a Comment

Even today

Yes.

I need to get such information to our MEO app (…) to help Meo workers to check inside customers' home where the signal is good or not

iOS doesn’t have APIs that will help you achieve that goal.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"