eGPU no longer recognized by system

I have a late 2016 13" MacBook Pro connected to the Sonnet enclosure. Before now I could plug in the cable to the enclosure and I'd get the "external GPU enclosure, log out" notification. Since disconnecting earlier today, it no longer seems to recognize the eGPU when connected. I've tried numerous scenarios for powercycling either piece of hardware but nothing seems to get the connection working again. Anyone else seeing this?

Replies

Weird, it seems like it might have something to do with this alternate cable I'm using. I switched to one of these 6' Thunderbolt 3 usb-c (40Gbps) cables yesterday:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H5QF2TK/

It worked fine until now. Replaced it with the original short cable and it immediately started working again. Hmm...

Shoot, I have that cable and was intending to use it. I'll keep an eye out for that, thanks for the heads up. I also have a 2m CalDigit cable and will report back if I have similar issues with it.

Hopefully it's just a rare hardware issue and these kinds of cables will otherwise work, because the newer revisions of both support 100W charging and are long enough to reach to the floor from a standing desk height.