The CGSetDisplayTransferByTable() is not working on the latest round of Mac hardware, namely the MacBook Neo (external display), MacBook M5 Pro (both built-in and external display) and possibly the M5 Max.
All tested apps (BetterDisplay, MonitorControl, f.lux, Lunar) exhibit the very issue both in macOS Tahoe 26.3 and macOS Tahoe 26.4 RC. Tested on multiple Macs and installations on the MacBook Neo and MacBook M5 Pro.
This issue breaks several display related macOS apps.
Way to reproduce the issue using an affected app:
- Install the app BetterDisplay (https://betterdisplay.pro)
- Launch the app, open the app menu, choose Image Adjustments and try to adjust colors.
- Adjustments take no effect
Way to reproduce the issue programmatically:
- Attempt to use the affected macOS API feature:
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/coregraphics/cgsetdisplaytransferbytable(::::_:)
Here are the FB numbers:
- FB22273730 (Filed this one as a developer on an unaffected MBP M3 Max)
- FB22273782 (Filed from an affected MBP M5 Pro running 26.4 RC, with debug info attached)
Please consider filing a bug report about this so our engineering teams can investigate this issue. A resolution may involve changes to Apple's software. If you post the Feedback number here I'll check the status next time I do a sweep of forums posts where I've suggested bug reports.
Bug Reporting: How and Why? has tips on creating your bug report.
For those who have already filed bugs and posted them here I went through all of the bugs and they are still open and under investigation. I will check back again soon.