App Encryption Documentation

When answering the App Encryption Documentation questions in App Store Connect, should I follow the on-screen note that says I can specify "no encryption" in my Info.plist to skip future questions, or should I declare YES/non-exempt per Apple's own developer documentation, given that my app does actually use encryption in its code (standard, non-proprietary algorithms implemented beyond Apple's OS-level encryption)?

To be specific: after completing the 3-part App Encryption Documentation questionnaire (answering that I use standard, non-proprietary encryption algorithms, and that the app won't be distributed in France), App Store Connect shows this note: "Based on your answers, you don't need to upload any documents. You can specify that you don't use encryption in the information property list (Info.plist) in your Xcode project to avoid answering encryption questions with each app submission." However, Apple's own developer documentation at developer.apple.com/documentation/security/complying-with-encryption-export-regulations states that ITSAppUsesNonExemptEncryption should be set to YES for any app using encryption beyond what's built into Apple's operating system — which is the case here, since my app does implement its own encryption (detailed below). These two sources appear to conflict for an app in my situation, and I want to make sure I'm declaring this correctly before continuing to resubmit builds.

Nobody knows anything about your app, or how it's configured in App Store Connect.

What you're describing is a setting that would require uploading additional documents to Apple. I've seen a couple of people recently say they did that and now they're waiting a very long time for approval.

The only reason I can imagine for someone picking the "upload documents" option would be if their employer required it and they're able to sit back and wait a few months while still getting paid. If you aren't getting paid while waiting for that human review, I recommend you reconsider those encryption choices.

App Encryption Documentation
 
 
Q