How does a legitimate application that wants to use the Greek word for twin submit an application?
Submit it using Google's developer account.
Sorry, but this is how trademarks work. There's the legal angle. Anyone can submit a trademark if they can afford the legal fees. A trademark might even be awarded if the relevant authority approves. But in a capitalist world, might makes right. Google owns Gemini, end of story.
What if I was making an astrology application?
Your app would be rejected in milliseconds under 4.3. (I spend too much time here in the forums, so I've learned the rejection paragraph numbers. 😄 )
Would I have to pick a new word for the zodiac sign? Or an application that shows constellations?
Even if you were developing an astronomy app, which would be the only acceptable way to touch upon these words, you would still be well-advised to avoid that particular word. Google owns it now. Such is life. In that instance, I would also recommend avoiding the name of the constellation "cancer" as that could trip some AI somewhere and get your app rejected for being an unauthorized health app. I'm not joking here.
I could probably "get by" not mentioning the zodiac sign or constellation by name. But that's not exactly an option for a browser for the Gemini network.
Why not? People do that all the time. Mozilla, Firefox, Opera, Brave, Chrome, Safari, Netscape. Make up a name. Be clever and inventive. Don't forget to check both USPTO and your own country's trademark registry, if not in the USA.
I tried replacing all mentions of "Gemini" with "Geminispace" (the word the network uses to reference its network of servers).
Gemini is dead. Don't play with dead things.
I obviously don't have the clout to take on Google and its massive marketing engine, but it feels wrong that they can just take over a word like that. Is there really no option for using a real word in the store descriptions if a giant corporation has decided to use it?
It's actually much worse than that. Even a much smaller company will choose violence when protecting their IP. At one time, I was "Harmony Software". I was the first "Harmony Software". That was a great name. But I was too poor to keep it so someone else took it, just like that. Cease and desist. And you want to challenge Google, eh?
The Gemini project is an interesting idea. Kids today have probably never heard of Gopher. How about the "Prairedog browser"? The Gopher that refuses to give up! And get active in the project and convince them to pick a new name. Gemini's taken.