xcode 9 interface builder not loading storyboard

I updated my xcode to 9 today. One of my xcode project with failry big storyboard is not opening. I had no problem opening it till yesterday on previous xcode.

When i click on main.storyboard i can only see the spinning icon.

Activity Monitor shows memory utilization very high. It went upto 10+GB.

I am using Macbook 12inch.

Other small projects are able to open the story board in Interface builder.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of sabyasachis Down vote post of sabyasachis
6.3k views

Answers

Do you get any error message ?

Have a look here, may help (problem was UITabBar):

h ttps://stackoverflow.com/questions/46311398/xcode-9-crash-when-open-storyboard

I am not seeing any error on xcode, it just keeps spinning and the memory utilization for Interface Builder reaches more than 10GB.

If i click on any file it displays that properly. The issue is only with main.storyboard. I to have UITabBarController. with 7 viewcontrollers linked to it.

It was working fine in xcode 8.

I've heard this with legacy storyboards - not fun, but try creating a new one w/Xcode 9 and then dump the contents of the old into it, using it going forward.

Tried doing that, however when i copy over the story board the same issue happens with the new project. Looks like i have to create the story board again in the new xcode. this is really frustrating.

I had a problem after adding a bar button item. Lots of symtoms including high CPU and IB not loading. Removing the bar from the XML code as described in the post helped me. At least I didn't lose my entire project. 😢

⚠I sent a crash report to Apple....please fix this bug....we know you have a little more than $200 Billion in cash. 🙂 j/k

It would be super helpful and encouraging to know when this bug fix is coming in a future release. 😀

If you use external displays, try opening xcode on the built-in display.

It worked for me.