Xcode 9: How to see pending blocks in debugger mode "View process by queue"

Hi,

I have a problem with async code and try to see, which blocks are responsible for my deadlock. I read, that there should be a menu Debug -> Debug workflow -> Always show pending blocks

The problem: In Xcode 9 (9.2 beta 2) there is no such menu to activate the display of pending blocks. I only see running blocks and the number of pending blocks.

Any hints how to see pending blocks also?

Thanks in advance!

My configuration:

Xcode 9.2 beta 2

MacOS 10.13.2 Beta (17C67b)

Accepted Reply

You can do this by:

1. Switching to the Debug navigator (View > Navigator > Show Debug Navigator).

2. Switching to queues view my choosing View Process By Queue from the popup at the top right of that navigator.

3. Unchecking the button at the bottom right of that navigator (it has a tooltip of Show only running blocks when in Queues view)

I tested this in Xcode 9.1, which is what I have running today, but I strongly suspect it’s the same on 9.2b2.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Replies

You can do this by:

1. Switching to the Debug navigator (View > Navigator > Show Debug Navigator).

2. Switching to queues view my choosing View Process By Queue from the popup at the top right of that navigator.

3. Unchecking the button at the bottom right of that navigator (it has a tooltip of Show only running blocks when in Queues view)

I tested this in Xcode 9.1, which is what I have running today, but I strongly suspect it’s the same on 9.2b2.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hi eskimo,

I tried this already and it didn't work. But...

I deselcted the "Show only running blocks when in Queues view" and deselcted "Show only crashed threads and threads with debug symbols" (the middle button at the bottom right) and now I see pending threads. (I thought, that the threads of my App would all have debug symbols, so I selected the button to filter out system threads...)

Thank you for your hint!