Annoying documentation issue

I've been using Xcode and Objective-C for years, and rely heavily on the built-in documentation, which is for the most part good.

There's an issue that's always bothered me. Today I was looking up a function called class_getName. I found its documentation page, and was also able to navigate to the page showing the overview of the runtime system, all of which is fine.

When I typed "class_getName" into my program, the compiler immediately flagged it as an unknown symbol.

I knew I probably had to include a header, but none of the documentation pages I looked at mentioned the name of the header file. I had to end up searching the internet for examples until I hit one that showed <objc/runtime.h> being imported.

Why isn't this very small, simple and extremely useful bit of information included in the documentation?

Frank

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of flarosa Down vote post of flarosa
1.2k views

Replies

What's going on is a bit weird. In the past, the documentation used to say explicitly what you needed to #import for all of Apple's public frameworks. As you say, this information isn't present any more in the obvious places. However, I don't think it's a mistake. Instead, it looks like a consequence of the "module-ification" of the frameworks. If you look at this page, for example:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/objectivec?language=objc

you'll see that the first heading line identifies this as documentation for a framework, and the second heading line identifies this framework as "Objective-C". This information suggests that the correct way to import this framework is like this:

@import Objective-C;

because, these days, @import is preferred over #import for frameworks where possible. When I tried this @import, I found that the module is actually called "ObjectiveC", but at least Xcode gave it to me via autocomplete.

All of this is to say, you were looking for a harder answer than the actual, new, easy answer. Still, it's worth a bug report, for at least these reasons:

1. The documentation doesn't really say anywhere to use @import.

2. The module name isn't correct in this case.

3. In cases where you can't use modules, the equivalent #import isn't obvious because it's no longer documented.

Still a problem five years later. For example, https://developer.apple.com/documentation/os/os_log does not state that which headers I need to include. In case you're wondering, it's "os/log.h".

Quite.

Please do file a bug about this. Our doc story has changed quite a bit in the last few years — Hello DocC! — and that yields more opportunity for fixes like this.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Please do file a bug about this.

Interesting, I had assumed this was a deliberate change. You think not?

I've just filed FB12169839.

Thanks for filing FB12169839.

I had assumed this was a deliberate change.

A lot of the time it doesn’t matter whether the change was deliberate. If it’s annoying, it’s worth filing a bug about, requesting that we improve it.

I took a quick look at your bug, just to confirm that it’s landed in the right place, and, amusingly, the engineer who routed it added a comment that they agree with you. That doesn’t mean it’s going to change, of course, but you’re certainly not alone.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"