Xcode shows simulator device ids

Xcode 6.4 has started showing device ids instead of models. This is causing all sorts of problems. How do I fix this?

Accepted Reply

Fixed it.

Had to delete ~/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator folder. I had installed Xcode beta and it seems to have installed a duplicate 8.4 simulator.

Replies

Fixed it.

Had to delete ~/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator folder. I had installed Xcode beta and it seems to have installed a duplicate 8.4 simulator.

I have the same issue: Xcode 6.4 downloaded from the Mac App Store, and Xcode 7 beta isntalled on the side.

All simulators appear in the format "Device Model (ID)". I tried deleting the folder you mentioned and restarting Xcode 6, but it doesn't change.

Though annying, I could just ignore the long ID strings. But I need to be able to see the OS version of each simulator! (e.g. "iOS 8.1")

1. Xcode Menu > Open Developer Tools > Open iOS Simulator
  2. iOS Simulator Menu > Hardware > Device > Manage Devices
  3. Delete all the errant string IDs/entries
  4. Add them back as needed

That didn't work for me. What did work was renaming the devices in the [iOS Simulator Menu > Hardware > Device > Manage Devices] window as follows:

For example, an entry that says "iPad 2" in black characters in the first line (name), and "7.1 (11D167)" in gray characters in the second, Ichose "Rename" (or hit the space key with the entry highlighted) and rename it to "iPad 2 (7.1)" (the second, gray text line stays the same).

Now, if I repen my project in Xcode, the display in the drop down menu goes from:

iPad 2 (XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX)

to:

iPad (7.1)

>What did work was renaming the devices

Ah - modding the list has the same effect - good info, thanks for the follow up.