Xcode says "Running .. on .. Apple Watch" all the time but never runs. Frustrating

I've had this issue for more than a year now. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. I can't be the only one experiencing this? The status bar says "Running" but even after half an hour, nothing happens on the Watch. Installing to my iPhone works just fine but as soon as I target the Apple Watch, it gets stuck.

Replies

Mar 210, 2021. Trying for DAYS to get this to work. I've reinstalled the OS on every device: my iMac, my iPhone 12 Max, the Apple Watch... everything.

Oh how I love spending weeks developing an app only to be blocked from progress. UGH!

Is anyone at Apple actually monitoring this thread?

Hi,
I had this issue but in the scenario where I deleted the app from watch and tried to run it again via Xcode. It said "running" but nothing happened. The solution was to go to "Watch" app on the iPhone and under the "Available Apps" I installed the app again. Hope this helps someone with the same context as I had. :)
Tiberiu27,

Thank you for the workaround! It doesn't perfect but this is the best that I've found :)
Yep, deleted, restarted the phone and the watch. Don't know what else to restart...
Anyone found a solution yet?

Xcode says "Running ... WatchKit App on Apple Watch". But nothing happens on the Watch. I can manually install from the Watch app on my iPhone, but this way i can't debug the app running on the watch.

I have cleaned Xcode, fully reseted Apple Watch already 2 times.
After a lot of experimentation, I have found a workaround.
  1. Open the Apple Watch app on iOS

2. Scroll down until you see your app name, tap it and disable Show App on Apple Watch

3. Go back to Xcode and try to run the app on your Apple Watch again, the app should work now and allow you to use the debugger too.

Oddly enough, disabling WiFi both on the iPhone and watch seems to fix this for me (at least at the moment).

for reference:

https://stackoverflow.com/a/61053243/2064473

Same problem. Whenever it is working, and I then have to disconnect my phone and come back the next day and reconnect it, it stops working.

Same issue. I just got a new Air to replace my ageing laptop and hoped the issues would be gone, but nope, exactly the same problems. Xcode randomly decides that my watch is not available for development. With some luck it starts working again, but then I usually get the running but not really running problem instead. This time it was magically fixed by restarting Xcode after which it finally installed the app and managed to start it. What can possibly be so different with our setups compared to the Apple developers? I can't imagine they would put up with this every day.

I found this to work quite reliably when it inevitably stops working.

• Clean build. (Cmd + Shift + K)
  • Go to window > Devices and Simulators
  • Right click the device and unpair the iPhone
  • Unplug the iPhone
  • Quit Xcode
  • Reopen Xcode
  • Open Devices and Simulators again
  • Replug iPhone + Unlock and Trust the computer

It seems to have a better chance of working after this

Since this is still relevant today, I'm just bringing my grain of salt here. Unfortunately this may not work for everyone.

Using the Profile function (Product > Profile / or command + i / or long press on the play button > Profile) seems to hit Xcode with a stick. When Xcode is ready with that, no need to choose a profiling template, you can stop there and run you application. I have not found the need to restart any of the devices, it looks like it's enough to make it work. However when I'm doing that a few times in a row, I may need to restart Xcode.

Also in case it doesn't run automatically, you can go to your Apple Watch and open the app. It should be installed and/or updated.

One workaround I had the most luck with is to run the iOS target on the iPhone the watch is attached to, wait for it to install on the watch (check for progress in the Watch app) and then run it manually from the watch. There's no debugging this way though.

Same issue, nothing helps. 😔

Utterly frustrating and this still happening until today

Issue solved after disconnecting/reconnecting iPhone, waiting for Preparing both iPhone and Watch, and then enabling "Connect via network" on "Devices and Simulator / iPhone"