What Platform to Use To Make a Game in Xcode?

I am wanting to create a 3D video game in Xcode for macOS, iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, and visionOS. I have heard that there are a few different ways to go about this such as MetalKit or SceneKit. These libraries seem to have little examples and documentation so I am wondering:

1. Are they still be developed/supported?
  2. Which platform should I make a game in?
  3. Where are some resources to learn how to use these platforms?
  4. Are there other better platforms that I am just not aware of?

Thanks!

Accepted Reply

I haven't had a chance to dive into Metal. I've only played with it. It's for low level GPU stuff. You won't need to use it to write a game unless maybe writing the whole engine. SceneKit has all the tools to create a 3D game. It doesn't get many flashy updates if any. It is not cross platform, doesn't have the community of a dedicated game engine, and so you'll need to hack through more things yourself. But you can program in Swift, easily incorporate all of Apple's API's, and there is no additional fee to use it. Do a search for Fox or Fox 2 and you'll see Apple's example as well as what others have done with that example. That should get you started. You might also want to look at Godot, Unity, and Unreal.

Replies

I haven't had a chance to dive into Metal. I've only played with it. It's for low level GPU stuff. You won't need to use it to write a game unless maybe writing the whole engine. SceneKit has all the tools to create a 3D game. It doesn't get many flashy updates if any. It is not cross platform, doesn't have the community of a dedicated game engine, and so you'll need to hack through more things yourself. But you can program in Swift, easily incorporate all of Apple's API's, and there is no additional fee to use it. Do a search for Fox or Fox 2 and you'll see Apple's example as well as what others have done with that example. That should get you started. You might also want to look at Godot, Unity, and Unreal.