.pkg installs successfully but no file are copied

Hi everyone !

This post is a following of this one.

I'm trying to make a .pkg out of two bundles that lands in two different folders, namely :

~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3
~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components

I am still using the script described in the previous post.

The installer works fine on the computer that builds the package, on another computer in installs successfully but the aforementioned folders remains empty.

My main computer is a MPB M1 (Ventura), I also have a 2015 MBA (Monterey). I tried to make the package on the air and the problem is the same : works on the machine that makes it, not on the receiver.

When I try to install to Desktop for test purposes : The MPB correctly ask me for

• password / touch ID to install
  • permission to use desktop
  • permission to access file in the downloads (which are the extracted file of the .pkg I guess).

But nothings happens. The package correctly indicate an installation of ~30Mo so it is not empty.

I also tried using the mid process package for one of the two files with the same problem.

I tried to use the CLI installer in verbose mode but it doesn't gave much information on what it is actually doing.

My two main guess would be :

• already existing package ID
  • permissions stuff

But I don't really know how i could test for this...

I would be grateful for any insights,

Have a nice day !

-Thomas

PS : I haven't found a "package" or "distribution" tag so I used the debugging one, feel free to modify if something seems more appropriate

Accepted Reply

After discussion with Apple support, using absolute path in the package build have fixed the problem

Add a Comment

Replies

Open your installer package and choose File > Show Files. Does that show the files you’re expecting?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Everything seems to be in place.

Now that you mention the menu bar I notice a log that seems more informative.

I made a pkg with the air and compared the installation logs on the air and the M1.

I tries to install the two bundles on /Desktop, it works on the air and not the M1 as usual.

The only strange thing that I can see are in those lines on the M1 logs where the sandbox path is the user name of the air (macbookair), is this normal ? I not really aware of the sandboxing process...

May  1 10:59:06 Thomass-Laptop installd[632]: PackageKit: Extracting file:///Users/thomas/Downloads/Sinensis_installer.pkg#Sinensis_au.pkg (destination=/Library/InstallerSandboxes/.PKInstallSandboxManager/CEDFB28F-E91D-4CFC-95DE-E4353235BC94.activeSandbox/Root/Users/macbookair/Desktop, uid=0)
May  1 10:59:06 Thomass-Laptop installd[632]: PackageKit: Extracting file:///Users/thomas/Downloads/Sinensis_installer.pkg#Sinensis_vst3.pkg (destination=/Library/InstallerSandboxes/.PKInstallSandboxManager/CEDFB28F-E91D-4CFC-95DE-E4353235BC94.activeSandbox/Root/Users/macbookair/Desktop, uid=0)

Here is the whole log of the failed install if necessary :

Interesting.

Sadly, I don’t have any other things for you to try. My recommendation is that you open a DTS tech support incident so that I, or more likely one of my colleagues, can look at this in more depth.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• ok, will do

Hopefully back in this thread in a few days with an answer for future user !

Add a Comment

After discussion with Apple support, using absolute path in the package build have fixed the problem

Add a Comment