login service in \etc\pam.d\login not getting executed

I am trying to pass smart card PIN from a custom auth plugin with tag kAuthorizationEnvironmentPassword. I added pam_smartcard.so to login stack (\etc\pam.d\login) but the changes do not take place.

# login: auth account password session
auth        sufficient    pam_smartcard.so
auth        optional      pam_krb5.so use_kcminit
auth        optional      pam_ntlm.so try_first_pass
auth        optional      pam_mount.so try_first_pass
auth        required      pam_opendirectory.so try_first_pass
account     required      pam_nologin.so
account     required      pam_opendirectory.so
password    required      pam_opendirectory.so
session     required      pam_launchd.so
session     required      pam_uwtmp.so
session     optional      pam_mount.so

What could possible be going wrong in this ? Also is there an API to trigger authorization_ctk from a custom auth plugin to work with smart card ?

Accepted Reply

I’ve researched this in the past and my conclusion was that there was no way to replace the built-in login mechanism with SFAuthorizationPluginView and support smart cards. When you log in with a smart card the built-in login mechanism puts lots of state into the authorisation context/hints, and none of of that is documented.

ps I specifically call out this limitation in the QAuthPlugins > LoginUIAuthPlugin read me.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Replies

What authorisation right are we talking about here? system.login.console?

If so, is your auth plug-in using SFAuthorizationPluginView to replace the built-in login UI? Or are you supplementing it somehow?

Share and Enjoy

Thanks for your reply.

1. Yes authorization right is system.login.console.

2. Yes. The Custom Auth Plugin is using SFAuthorizationPluginView. Also custom auth plugin is loading fine on logout. I referred this sample app (https://github.com/skycocker/NameAndPassword).
Today the auth plugin only supports password which is set with tag kAuthorizationEnvironmentPassword. I want to add support for smart card with my custom auth plugin and provide option to enter PIN.

As per my understanding, When a smart card is connected OS(apple native login window) automatically detects it and triggers authorization_ctk.

I couldn’t find any API to trigger authorization_ctk from custom auth plugin and allow user to pass PIN with tag kAuthorizationEnvironmentPassword.

I updated /etc/pam.d/login with auth sufficient pam_smartcard.so to provide support for smart card with my custom auth plugin.

Is there any way to trigger authorization_ctk from a custom auth plugin ?

I was hoping that this approach would allow me to pass smart card PIN with tag kAuthorizationEnvironmentPassword and user could log in. I see very mixed results with this approach as it worked intermittently.

Any idea why /etc/pam.d/login not showing consistent behavior ? Is my understanding correct or am I missing anything ?

1. I tried above approach by updating /etc/pam.d/authorization instead of etc/pam.d/login and it did work as expected in all the test attempts. I was able to pass PIN via custom authorization plugin and login was successful. Although another behavior that I noticed was that all the native apps(ex: slack),browsers were getting logged out of the account.

Any idea what could have caused this behavior ? Could it be something with keychain ? I kept the policy as sufficient for pam_smartcard.so so that other modules are not interrupted

# authorization: auth account    
auth       sufficient     pam_smartcard.so  use_first_pass		 
auth       optional       pam_krb5.so use_first_pass use_kcminit no_auth_ccache
auth       optional       pam_ntlm.so use_first_pass
account    required       pam_opendirectory.so

Thanks in advance.

I’ve researched this in the past and my conclusion was that there was no way to replace the built-in login mechanism with SFAuthorizationPluginView and support smart cards. When you log in with a smart card the built-in login mechanism puts lots of state into the authorisation context/hints, and none of of that is documented.

ps I specifically call out this limitation in the QAuthPlugins > LoginUIAuthPlugin read me.

Share and Enjoy

@eskimo I am facing another issue on similar lines with PAM modules. Can you please share your insights on this ?

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/751017