Will it be possible to predict the next app to use? (macOS)

App switching is probably one of the most common tasks we do when using our computers. There are many ways to open an app, but many of them have their own drawbacks. Opening an app using the Dock can become harder if you have many apps in it. Command-Tab is very useful when you want to switch to the most recent or second most recent app, but it can become troublesome beyond that. Spotlight is a versatile search tool, but it simply shows the app that was last used for a given query.

On iOS, there is the 'Suggestions' box in the App Library, which displays four apps based on your usage patterns. It is often useful, but the experience could be even better on a computer. Here, a keyboard is always accessible, and predictions can be much more accurate even with just one or two letters.

So I’ve been working on this context-aware app switcher named Applight, which is now available as a public beta starting today. Here are some key features:

• As soon as you press the modifier key of your choice, the app displays apps that you might want to use in that context.
  • Type a letter or two, or press a number key, to quickly select the app you want to use.
  • Open the selected app by just releasing your modifier key.
  • Every person has a different way of using their computer. The app tailors its prediction algorithm based on your usage patterns.

https://seungwoochoe.github.io/applight

Feedback

Hey,

I've been using your app for a few weeks, but it suddenly stopped working with the right command key. It's working with others, just not right command.

• Hi, you can see the key code of a key you press by using an app like Key Code on the App Store. Could you let me know the key code of your right command key?

Add a Comment