Apple Configurator stuck on Step 2 of 3

I'm trying to use Apple Configurator to set up an iPad as a managed device.

My Apple ID has been approved for the Device Enrollment program, I set up two-factor authentication, and I have an active MDM account as well.

The iPad I'm trying to set up is a 5th generation cellular model, brand new out of the box.

I've tried to do this at least 10 times now and whenever the Apple Configurator gets to "Step 2 of 3: Activating iOS on the device", it hangs. No error messages, no further activity, nothing. I've let it sit this way for up to 30 minutes hoping something would happen, but nothing ever does.

On the iPad itself, I can see the Welcome screen with the welcome messages alternating in different languages. I can see both Wifi and Cellular connections in the status bar, as well as two arrows rotating in a circle that look like some kind of activity indicator.

I'm at a loss as to what I should do next. I have 10 of these iPads to set up and I can't even get past the first one. What should I do?

Frank

Some additonal information:

1. Watching the Apple Developer video for device configuration, there's supposed to be a screen that appears on the iPad called "Remote Management". I never see that screen.

2. Sometimes I see this message in the Apple Configurator: "An unexpected error has occurred. Provisional enrollment failed. The cloud configuration for this device is invalid". There's so much about this message that I don't understand. What is a "cloud configuration"? Why does my device have an invalid one?

Apple Configurator stuck on Step 2 of 3

Q