Discount Codes / Promotional Codes

I have an item I am looking to sell in stores that will have an app that would work with it. I want to have the app as a paid app in the store for those that just want to purchase the app alone, but I want to allow people that purchase the item in a box retail store to get the app for free. I thought about promotion codes but Apple only allows 100 and they get cleared out after an update goes out and expire after 4 weeks. I plan on selling a lot more then 100 in the retail stores. Any ideas on how I can get this done. I know Star bucks used to give away paid apps all the time with those cards they had by the milk. So I am hoping I can do something similiar. I would also love to allow a coupon for in app purchases. Any suggestions on how I can accomplish this. I know with android I can just host my apk file on my site and allow them to download it. Apple is way more strict so I am not sure how to make this work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin S.

Replies

You may need to contact Apple directly and ask how to replicate Starbucks distro scheme, as an example.

Keep in mind, tho, that method may be reserved for bigger players, so...

Apple Developer Relations:

(800) 633 2152

(408) 974 4897

I gave the number a call. They said they would look into it. These seems like something that should have been brought up before. With the intergration of retial items with phone apps there has to be a way to give an app for free if they purchase a retail item that has an app that can fucntion with it. Wish I could host the program on my site like android alows so I can just have my own private download server for poeple that purchase the retail product.

Did you find a solution for this, EliteAppCreations?

I would be very happy if you can share it!

Hi Kevin,

I am confronted to the same issue. Were you able to find a work around for iOS?

Did you find a solution???? Anyone

Isn't 3.1.4 the solution? Have your device unlock the functionality in a free app. Allow other users to unlock that functioanlity in the free app using an IAP.

3.1.4 Content Codes: Apps may not use their own mechanisms to unlock content or functionality, such as license keys, augmented reality markers, QR codes, etc. In limited circumstances, such as when features are dependent upon specific hardware to function, the app may unlock that functionality without using in-app purchase (e.g. an astronomy app that adds features when synced with a telescope). App features that work in combination with an approved physical product (such as a toy) on an optional basis may unlock functionality without using in-app purchase, provided that an in-app purchase option is available as well. You may not, however, require users to purchase unrelated products or engage in advertising or marketing activities to unlock app functionality.