How do redemption codes work in Apple Business Manager when NOT using MDM

Greetings all,

The dev company that I work for has been contracted to build an app for a small client with 100 employees. This client is using Apple Business Manager and wants us to publish our app to it.

I have built the app and deployed it for review to Apple Connect. It successfully passed the review process, and I see it is now in the client's Apple Business Manager account as a Custom App.

What to do next? Here is where I am confused. Our client DOES NOT have a MDM. How can I use Apple Business Manager in this case? From the apple site (https://developer.apple.com/business/custom-apps/), it says "Alternatively, organizations can choose to provide redemption codes to authorized users to download the app on the App Store.".

My understanding is that redemption codes are like "gift cards". Once they are used, there is no way to call them back. This is not going to work for the client as they employ many field workers and short term contractors, and need to be able to revoke the app once the contractor leaves.

My understanding is I need to use the Managed License section of ABM.

I have read, and read, and read, and everything seems to indicate that a MDM is mandatory in this case. The following 3 links from Apple make this clear:

I am really struggling here folks to help our client. Surely, there must be something that can be done. The client simply want to distribute the app to all its employees, contractors, and business affiliates. They have simple goals. Nothing fancy. They simply want to be able to know who has the app, and therefore be able to revoke the license at any time if a employee with the app leaves/terminated, or has thier contract end.

Please help!

Derek

• Derek...did you ever get this question answered? We are struggling with the same question. Do you know if redemption codes still exist Apple Business Manager?

andy

Add a Comment

Replies

Correct, mandatory in your example. The only way that client will have control over any app on any device is if that device is managed. If that's the kind of control they want, MDM is in their future.

Specific needs means specific methods. The best way to help them is to make that point clear so they can make necessary business decisions as applies. Maybe it's time they moved up...sounds like an opportunity for all involved, who knows what their needs may become down the road.

Hi derekfromcalgary,

Have you got the solution for this problem. Our organization has the same issue while deploying the app onto the clients devices privately. Clients are not interested to manage the devices using MDM. We have developed an utility app for their business its not mandatory app to have them on all client devices. its depend on the associates requirement.

Kindly, share the process what you are using for custom app installation.
Code Block

Code Block

Hello, do you have a solution for this concern? Thank you.