App Review access Google Account (suspicious activity)

I have an App for years in App store now (iOS). This App required a Google Account authentication – so I have created an test Google Account for Apple Review Team. But now the Google Account displays "suspicious activity" – and I need to validate the login by mail (or phone number) – seems that cannot turned off in Google settings (tried everything) but the review team still cannot login.

Two-Factor-Authentication is turned off.

Access for third-party apps is on.

How do you guys handle Google accounts logins with the review team?

My updates for the app is now since a few month in pipeline because they cannot login.

Would be nice to get any help.

Thanks!

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of caomhan Down vote post of caomhan
4.1k views

Replies

Hi,

I had the same problem a few weeks ago.

My solution was to use the backup codes of the Google account to allow the review team to login no matter where they are located.

For that, you have first to enable the Two-Factor Authentication on your test account, then communicate the Backup Codes to the reviewer within the Notes section (bellow the Sign-in information section) when you create a new release of your app.
A backup code will allow the reviewer to skip the Two-Factor Authentication, but careful, each backup code can be used only once (so don't forget to update your list or generate new backup codes before submitting your update).

Hoping it will help.
Did you find a solution for this?

Setting the backup codes didn't work for me as google tries to verify the device by sending a code to the recovery number after inserting them.
Same here - I give them the backup code and I can see they've used it, but then they send me a screenshot from the Google login that says "Verify it's you" and the only option for "Choose a way to verify" is "Tap Yes on your phone or tablet".

Very confused why it accepts the backup code but then prompts again.

Also confusing - the only notification I receive says "A backup code was used to sign in", which would seem to indicate it was successful.

Is there any solution ? It is very annoying when giving google account to review team in order to make signing in with google work.

My app requires access to Google Business Profile and I get this every review, I've tried everything but can't seem to find a solution. Any help would be appreciated.

I had the same problem and solved it by doing the following:

• Go to the Security settings of the Google account you provided to the Apple review team.
  • Enable 2FA(if you haven't already).
  • Add only the backup codes option. This includes:
    • Removing any mobile device that Google will use to send you the verification prompt.
    • Save you 8-digit codes to a safe place and copy them.
  • Add the 8-digit codes to the notes section of your app version on AppStoreConnect. You can also reply to the review team in the resolution center with the codes, and re-submit the same build.

Remember the backup codes are single use.

Hope it helps

• As of now, if I try to remove the phone number for 2-FA verification, Google will disable 2-FA and backup codes don't appear at all. Does this still work for you?

Add a Comment

I don't want to hassle with making a test google account...

So I'm implementing a backdoor by tapping an element on the login screen 10 times that will trigger in review mode. If we're in review mode, I just return all API values with mocked data.

Hoping this works because I'm not keen to try make a test google account purely just for this.

Hi everyone, inspired by everyone here I'm trying the following with 1Password:

• in 1Password: add google account
  • in google account: add 2 factor authentication
  • in 1Password: add authenticator option
  • in google account: delete receiving phone code on google account
  • in 1Password: Share 1Password link with authenticator code to app reviewers

Thank you everyone !

• Amazing solution, thanks so much!

Add a Comment

Ensuring your business has a strong online presence is crucial in today's digital landscape. One effective way to boost your visibility and credibility is by leveraging Google reviews. The Google review stand by konektet.com can serve as a powerful tool to encourage satisfied customers to leave positive feedback about their experience with your business. These reviews not only enhance your online reputation but also influence potential customers' decisions. By strategically placing a Google review stand in your establishment, you're actively engaging with your customers and inviting them to share their feedback, ultimately improving your search engine ranking and attracting more business.