Magic Mouse 1 will not scroll on latest iPadOS 13.4 beta

Hi,

I am having a problem with my Magic Mouse gen 1. I have tried pairing it with my iPad numerous times and while it pairs, tracks, and selects things perfectly I am completely unable to scroll webpages or anything else and am forced to use my finger to do so. I have seen lots of people on YouTube using the Magic Mouse gen 2 and it works perfectly so I'm wondering, what about the 1st generation Magic Mouse is causing it to behave this way? Is it just because it's old and I need a new mouse? I'm just looking for answers right now so if the answer is just flat out no, then I can go get a new mouse to use but if anybody else has managed to scroll with the 1st generation Magic Mouse then I would like to know what I'm doing wrong because having a mouse that I can use properly with my iPad would be a huge asset to me.

Thanks in advance!

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Shock9616 Down vote post of Shock9616
51k views
  • Same situation here, Magic Mouse 1st gen with IPad Pro 11 inch 2018 version. It really annoys me since I really think this is a easy fix by Apple!

• same here, im on ipad air 4th gen with mm1 not able to use scrolling feature. I feels like this is the most low standard not able to fix by Apple. with ios 14.5.1 still not able to scroll :(

• I have had the same problem and wanted to avoid buying a MM2 since I‘ve two MM1 laying around. I did some cross checking and found that the good old Mighty Mouse (this one with the trackball) works excellent on my iPad Pro 11 with iPadOS 15.0.2. The trackball allows also allows horizontal movement, depending on the active app and the home function works too.

Replies

Just got a new iPad Air and found out about this issue, 2 years have passed and no fix, what a shame Apple.

I submitted a bug on https://feedbackassistant.apple.com

• It’s not a bug. Your mouse is literally at the very least 8 years old, and at worst 15 years old.

• And yet… And yet my even older Logitech Bluetooth Mouse scrolls just fine.

You guys need to stop being so eager to generate Apple-branded e-waste.

Apple doesn't need your help to sell new hardware, they're doing quite well on their own.

Add a Comment

Yes, same issue Magic Mouse gen1 scroll not working on iPad 3rd Gen.

Same here with an iPad Pro 12.9, I can’t scroll with a Magic Mouse 1st gen and it is really annoying as everything is from the same Apple ecosystem.

Unfortunately. The IPad does not support scrolling or other gestures without clicking the physical buttons. This is because apple changed the way the Magic Mouse transmits data like that. You can buy the Magic Mouse 2 which will fix the issue.

I too am very disappointed by this decision. I have amassed a collection of MM1's (being able to swap out the AA rechargeable batteries is the huge attraction). To hear that other brands work correctly and Apple's own hardware support has been removed seems utter nonsense. The only conclusion to draw is that it is better to buy peripherals from a 3rd party, as they will have greater support longevity. What sort of message is that?!?

Just fix this Apple. Think of the environment - don't assign these devices to the trash!

I’ve had a mm1 for a while now and after looking through this forum for a while, I found a comment saying you can enable assistive touch in accessibility in settings. Then you can click and drag to scroll. But it is still a bummer that you can’t scroll. (And in case you were wondering, I’m using an iPad Air 4 with iPadOS 16.1 or whatever the latest is right now. So, try that. It works for me but it might not work for others. Enjoy your day! :)

Same on ipad os 16 and mm1. Apparently they won't fix it anymore.

Apple developers can not fix this in code?

Why do you have to switch to mm2 when mm1 is the same.