Change Bundle Identifier of an Existing App

Hello,

I have version 1 of an app on AppStore. It was developed by a third party vendor, with their .com identifier. I am now developing version 2 of the same app, but need to use my university's .edu identifier. Is it possible to change the bundle ID of an existing app?

I contacted Apple support, and they told me no. It is hard for me to believe, just want to check with the community to see if anyone has done this.

Best,

Replies

You can, but you have to abandon basically your app's entire history, including all users' iCloud content. I'd recommend re-releasing the app under the new identifier and keeping the old version available. Other than that, I'm afraid you're stuck.

I was able to successfully change my app's bundle identifier, but I haven't released it yet except to a handful of beta testers. Once in the App Store, an app can't be changed that way.

Support is correct - the bundle id is the hook that the entire store process relies on for tracking/installing/billing etc. of that app over it's lifetime. Changing it effectively creates a new app, not v2 of another.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of KMT Down vote reply of KMT

Having seen a client do this via transfering their app to another developer, I can point out unless you had a group related identifier for the keychain, you then lose access to the keychain data. For this particular client that resulted in every customer who updated their app had to reenter their login credentials and settings as that was all stored in the keychain.

I'm asking the same question, I think. When I tried to upload the new version the App Store complained. "Request failed with error code "ENTITY_ERROR.ATTRIBUTE.INVALID.DUPLICATE.SAME_ACCOUNT", and reason "The provided entity includes an attribute with a value that has already been used on this account." It seems I can't edit the App bundle even after transferring it to my AppleID. Do I just need to use the old bundleID? Thanks, David

I created a new certificate with my 'new' AppleID and the old/previous BundleID. I got an email indicating 'This will result in a loss of keychain access.' as mentioned above. I use Game Center but nothing else that might use Keychain. Hopefully this won't prevent approval of the app.