Disk problems in console after upgrading to El Capitan

Hello,

I got disk problems after upgrading from 10.10 to 10.11 GM (15A282b) on my iMac (27-inch, mid-2011).

It started with the next problem;

After upgrading, the window of signing in to iCloud appeared and I typed my mail and password.

After clicking next, I came to the next window, still titled 'Sign in to iCloud', with an activity indicator in the middle, having the buttons 'Next' and 'Back'. The Next-button was enabled and the Back-button was disabled. I waited 5 minutes and nothing happened. I tried tapping on the Next-button but it didn't do anything so I was stuck. I tried to putting my iMac to sleep by short-tapping the power button and start it again, my iMac gone to sleep but when I woke it, it was on the same window. After that I tried locking the iMac with Command + Option + Eject. It locked but when I unlocked it, it was still on the same window.

So I hard restarted my iMac by long-tapping the power button and I started my iMac again.

The sign-in window was gone and everything worked.

So I was going to update Xcode. I downloaded Xcode 7 GM before I upgraded, but I didn't move it to the 'Applications'-folder. After upgrading, I moved Xcode 7 GM to the 'Applications'-folder and it was really slow. It took 10 minutes to copy 7GB from SSD to SSD.

So I checked the console. The console showed many errors which are probably disk-related.

Here are some

10-09-15 11:45:36,000 kernel[0]: Sandbox: coreduetd(76) deny(1) file-read-metadata /
10-09-15 11:45:36,000 kernel[0]: Sandbox: coreduetd(76) deny(1) file-read-metadata /Applications/Dashboard.app
10-09-15 11:45:52,000 kernel[0]: Sandbox: SpotlightNetHelp(567) deny(1) file-read-data /private/var/folders/m1/q3800d_s7_d_3d1qyc1p5xhc0000gn/0/com.apple.LaunchServices-134501.csstore
10-09-15 11:45:52,000 kernel[0]: Sandbox: SpotlightNetHelp(567) deny(1) file-read-data /Applications/App Store.app
10-09-15 11:45:54,423 ***[395]: LaunchServices: Could not store ***-identifiers file at /private/var/db/***/com.apple.lsdschemes.plist

I already tried repairing the disk and the partition with the new 'Disk repair'. I tried it in the OS and in the recovery mode, but I still get the errors.

How to fix it?

Thank you,

Pepijn

EDIT:

After opening Xcode it gave me an error for every file Xcode has. For example:

10-09-15 12:54:11,801 CoreServicesUIAgent[478]: error -1 while removing quarantine data on path /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk/usr/share/man/man3/ldap_unbind_ext_s.3

Replies

Hi Pepijn,

I think your best bet here is to boot back into Recovery Mode and select "Reinstall OS X" from the central menu. This will reinstall the GM over itself without touching your user account or any of your user data and is the most likely thing to fix the issue.

Let me know how you get on 🙂

-Max.

Thank you Max!

I tried it but it's not working, the console is still full of disk related errors (the same errors as in my other post).

Also, it didn't pop up the 'Sign in to iCloud'-window. Is there any way to let that window pop up again? Maybe that will fix it.

Pepijn

I am experiencing a similar issue with very similar error messages showing up in Console, after upgrading from 10.10.5 to 10.11 GM (15A282b) on my MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid-2011).

Many apps are now crashing as soon as they are launched, or as soon as some sort of input (e.g. typing in one character in the search bar) is given to the app.

- As per suggested, I tried to reinstall OS X from a USB boot drive created from the El Capitan GM Candidate installer, but the problem persists.

- Tried performing First Aid on the volume using Disk Utility from El Capitan, First Aid completed successfully, problem persists.

If anyone has any idea or suggestions on how to fix this issue, that would be much appreciated. As the computer is pretty much unusable at this point.

Yes, you can use Single User Mode to create a new admin user for your system and that will re-trigger the setup screen:

Hold down Command + s while turning your Mac back on to boot into Single User Mode.

Once you get to the command prompt carefully type in the following, one at a time:

• /sbin/mount -uw /
  • rm /var/db/.applesetupdone
  • reboot

Your Mac will restart and display the Welcome to Mac screen. Follow the step-by-step guide to create your new admin user account. Once you finish creating the account, your Mac will log you in with the new account.

Thank you again,

This also doesn't fix it.

Is there any way to force repair permissions in 10.11 or do you have another idea on how to fix it?

Pepijn.

Could you elaborate on "doesn't fix it" for me. Sometimes exactly what doesn't work reveals important information.

Also you don't have a permissions issue because reinstalling the full OS X would have fixed that. But no, there is no longer a way to manually fix permissions as there was pre 10.11.

Sorry. I said it wrong.

I was able to create a new admin user and re-trigger the setup screen, but it didn't fix my problem.

The console still logs many disk-related errors, on the new user and on my current user account.

I tried your suggestion but I am still experiencing the same issue as before in my existing user account (the new user account created through the setup process seems to work fine, as does a guest account).

If you have sufficient disk space then migrating your user data to the new account might be the best workaround until the issue is fixed. Hopefully one or both of you have submitted a bug report: http://bugreport.apple.com.

I tried to report the bug but even Console crashed when the file dialog pane was presented for me to choose where to save the log file. 😟

Not that it seems like the .plist does anything, but I was able to make the "LaunchServices: Could not store ***-identifiers file at /private/var/db/***/com.apple.lsdschemes.plist" error go away by simply going to "/private/var/db/" and creating the missing "***" folder.

It required admin privileges. Once I did that, OS X was able to create "com.apple.lsdschemes.plist" a few moments later.

Again, this 42 byte file doesn't seem to contain any worthwhile data. But it was an error that was happening over 60 times per minute in my system.log.

This was on OS X 10.11 (15A284) immediately after booting from upgrade from 10.10.5.

Oddly enough, it appears the forum auto-censors that directory?!

Just look in your own log file to figure out the appropriate name of the folder, I guess...

This did not fix it for me. I created the *** directory there with 755 perms as root:wheel and I still get these errors. ***

Hello,

I also experienced some issues installing El Capitan. My issue was precisely about the L*S*D process taking 100% of CPU with some effects sides such as some tasks being really slow (a lot of multicolor spinning wheel).

I noticed that the file </private/var/db/l*s*d/com.apple.lsdschemes.plist> would not exist (neither the l*s*d directory). As some of you I created the directory and created the file (empty). I noticed that the L*S*D process could then recreate the content of the file, but still, I had the L*S*D process burning CPU…

As L*S*D seemed to be a process linked to XCode (Simulator), I just opened XCode, for the first time since its last update (and even since some updates) and I think I got it : Xcode started installing new components… Xcode finally froze though, so I had to force it to quit and relaunched it. Still, it was stucked at relaunch, until I force the L*S*D process to quit. Xcode then could start again, and since then, I do not have any overburning L*S*D process (currently at 0% of CPU).

Hope this helps.

Edit : funny censorship from Apple, can't even talk about L*S*D in our discussions without being more clever than the censorship algorithm… Wouldn't someone at Apple have taken too much of this process? 😀