Apple TV Not Showing in iTunes

I recieved my Apple TV Dev kit today. When I plug the Apple TV into power, HDMI, and USB to my computer, the light on the front just starts blinking fast (after 5 seconds) and a recovery-ish screen shows on my TV. The Apple TV isn't showing in iTunes, Xcode, or the USB tab of system profiler. If there is no USB cable attached during boot, it just starts blinking fast right away (no delay). I'm not sure where to go from here. I have iTunes 12.3.0.44 installed.

Accepted Reply

I got it to work. I just kept inserting and removing the connector while flipping it until iTunes FINALLY popped up and told me it detected an Apple TV. It took me 7 hours but it's finally setup 🙂 I'm afraid I have a bad connector because it seems like it is really loose but I'll follow up about that later. Right now the Apple TV is balanced on my knee as it's restoring and I'm trying not to move at all 🙂

Replies

Zero movement here...very snug - what color is the cable you're using? Should be the black one.

You should have no wiggle room on the USB-C - - did you insert the lightning cable in there instead of the new USB cord?

This was my first experience of the new USB-C connector. I initially thought it was a micro USB and yes, I did insert the lighning cord in there and that was a bad idea and I realized it instantly. If a person was "persistent" and tried too hard to put the lightning plug in the USB-C socket it could (probably/possibly) strain and damage the USB-C socket. I was afraid if maybe I had done that, but as I said I realized my mistake quickly.

Good excuse now to take it apart. I betcha some plastic got broken on that USB-C connector. (since you mentioned you have 4mm or more "play") - I'd call that a broken socket.

If you do take it apart, could you show me the location of the IR blaster LED(s)?

IR blaster is in the ATV's BT/Siri remote...

Wow.

That's not really a "blaster" then.

Like for instance - my Logitech Harmony RF remote had an IR blaster that bridged RF to IR. You put the thing in the cabinet with your other components and then they can be out of sight and hidden. The Harmony communicates by RF and the blaster octopus has a bunch of long wires with LED's on the end that you can stick in strategic positions to each stereo component. Every LED can be addressed individually or you blast the IR through all of them if you want.

I figured the Apple TV would have an LED on it - I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to do, so why not?

Are you sure there is no LED blasting IR on the Apple TV housing?

(I guess I am just to lazy to get up and move the Apple TV in front of the other components to truly test ).

Not sure there would be any reason to have two sets, so the remote is it - look at the end.

As well, you may want to start your own thread w/a new topic.

Luckly I didn't. I've been using the black USB-C cable and I have a feeling that my unit is defective. I'll see how much trouble I have getting apps installed and debugging them. The last thing I want is my connection to keep being lost.

Initially, for installing the beta tvOS, iTunes recognized the Apple TV no problem. Installed the software, it went through the Contacting Apple business, etc.

However, since the OS was installed, it does not display an Apple TV in the drop-down list of Devices.

Xcode, however, continues to display the correct Apple TV in the "Devices" page.

I don't know if iTunes is supposed to ignore an Apple TV that already has the beta software. Maybe so.

Ditto.

Exact same expierence here.

Hey! Seems it only shows in iTunes at the start of the process. Once it is setup, you'll see it via Xcode devices, but the only hint in iTunes is when selecting speakers.

We'll see if that changes when the public version of tvOS is released, I guess.

I just tryed to install the tvOS Beta 2 and noticed iTunes would not detect the Apple TV that already had tvOS beta 1 installed. I found on another forum post this:

iTunes will NO show your Apple TV 4 unless you enter restore mode: using the included remote, press and hold MENU + Play/Pause for 6 seconds until the indicator light begins flashing rapidly.

Then you can restore using the downloaded tvos beta

Hold the Option key and click Restore Apple TV in iTunes

Select the tvOS beta software restore image from step 1 and click Open to begin installation.

Everything is working OK now. I am using iTunes 12.3.0.44 even though the tvOS beta 2 release notes state that you must use iTunes 12.2.2. I guess they meant or greater.

I had exactly this problem, and the Menu+Play trick worked like a charm. Thanks for unblocking me!

I feel like a character in one of those "Don't be that me..." commercials. I was about to write "this didn't work for me!" until I realized I was pressing and holding MENU+TV down. Even though that will give you flashing lights, it has to be Menu+Play!

The MENU + Play/Pause trick worked for me too, but after re-installing tvOS b2 and restarting, the device still does not show in iTunes. But it DOES show up in Xcode. I'm assuming there will be an update in iTunes that will clear this up...

I thought my USB cable was faulty at first too, but it just requires a lot more force than a Lightning cable when you plug it in. Push harder then you think would be necessary, and you should hopefully feel/hear a click.