Apple TV Not Showing in iTunes

I recieved my Apple TV Dev kit today. When I plug the Apple TV into power, HDMI, and USB to my computer, the light on the front just starts blinking fast (after 5 seconds) and a recovery-ish screen shows on my TV. The Apple TV isn't showing in iTunes, Xcode, or the USB tab of system profiler. If there is no USB cable attached during boot, it just starts blinking fast right away (no delay). I'm not sure where to go from here. I have iTunes 12.3.0.44 installed.

Accepted Reply

I got it to work. I just kept inserting and removing the connector while flipping it until iTunes FINALLY popped up and told me it detected an Apple TV. It took me 7 hours but it's finally setup 🙂 I'm afraid I have a bad connector because it seems like it is really loose but I'll follow up about that later. Right now the Apple TV is balanced on my knee as it's restoring and I'm trying not to move at all 🙂

Replies

Thanks sambaumgarten!, this was the solution for me. I had the cable in correctly as I'd seen it popup in iTunes yesterday but had not yet downloaded the tvOS image. But then today, I couldn't get it to reappear in iTunes for reimaging.

- Putting it into recovery mode made it appear right away in iTunes.

- Note that throughout this whole process I did NOT have an HDMI cable plugged in. I'm not sure if this matters, but perhaps it does.

I just received a retail Apple TV Kit. I have bought a Apple USB-c adapter and a USB 3.0 cable connected to my Macbook Pro.

I have tried all the tricks suggested in the different threads, putting the Apple TV in recovery mode, plug, unplugged the cable, with/without HDMI cable plugged. The Apple TV 4 will not show up on iTunes 12.3.1.23.

Is this a bug on Apple TV/iTunes? Am I missing something?