Questions about user-generated content rules

Hi,

Apple rejected my app, saying it doesn't comply with section 14.3 of the app review guidelines regarding user-generated content. Their exact response was:

Your app enables the display of user-generated content but does not have the required precautions in place.

It is necessary that you put all of the following precautions in place:

- Require that users agree to terms (EULA) and these terms must make it clear that there is no tolerance for objectionable content

- Use moderators to flag and remove inappropriate content and offensive users

- Users need a mechanism to flag objectionable content and report users generating this content

- Users need a mechanism to block abusive users

- Developer must act on objectionable content reports within 24 hours by removing the content and ejecting the user who provided the offending content

- Developer needs a method for ejecting users who violate the terms of the EULA

Some of these things I understand, but I have questions/concerns about others.

1. My app allows users to post both public and private content. The private content is only viewable by the original creator and people they share it with, who they must know personally (by phone number or email address). Do the rules apply equally to both public and private content, or is it sufficient to just moderate public content?

2. Apple says I must "user moderators to flag and remove objectionable content". This suggests that I must employ people to review all of my app's content and remove objectionable content proactively, instead of waiting for ordinary users to flag it. Am I reading this right?

3. Is there a difference between "flag objectionable content" and "report users generating this content"? They sound like the same thing. I'm wondering if Apple is telling me that I need a way for my users to type an actual complaint message rather than just press a "flag" button?

4. Apple says I must "act on objectionable content reports within 24 hours by removing the content and ejecting the user", suggesting that I must remove all content flagged by anyone without evaluating whether it is actually objectionable -- in effect allowing any user to remove anyone else's content from my system. Am I reading this right?

5. Does "ejecting the user" mean I actually have to disable their account and prevent them from logging in again? Or can I just disallow them from posting additional public content?

Thanks,

Frank

Replies

read 14.3 1) I believe you will need controls over what you are calling private. After all, what if I start getting offensive posts from a distant relative who I admitted into the private group 2) I don't think you need to moderate input until flagged 3) you need some way for a user to tell you that someone's reference to Woodrow Wilson offended them. A 'contact us' button that allows the user to compose and send an email to you will work 4) 'objectionable content' is defined by you as a reasonable person not by some user who gets offended by any reference to Woodrow Wilson. 5) all you need do is prevent further posting until the matter is resolved The issue is the 12 year old cousin who sends foul language to your beloved Aunt. How do you stop him? All IMHO after rejection and resolution of an app that had user-to-user anonymous (!) messaging