Xcode "There is not enough disk space available to install the product." with plenty of space.

at 4.4 ish GB, my late 2013 MB Pro's internel SSD with 7.9 GB available ought to be able to handle size requirements for this update, I would think. Or, would have thought. Still, it said no, so I freed up a bit more space. Xcode still responds with "There is not enough disk space available to install the product."
Why is that?

Replies

as a workaround, download xcode 12.0.1 xip file directly from https://developer.apple.com/download/more/ to an external drive and install from there. that will save you 11.21gb on your internal drive
  • Didn't work for me. After spending several hours on expanding xip file I could't opened the file. I've ended in the end with removing existing version of the Xcode and reinstalling it from App Store. I hope this issue will be fixed soon by Apple.

Add a Comment
PSA - I deleted most of ~/Library/Developer/iOS DeviceSupport/ to get up to 65gb free, so now the XCode 12.0.1 11gb patch/upgrade is finally installing…
I'm having the same issue everyone else is having. Are they working on a solution?
You need to have at least 40GB with Catalina to download XCode although the app itself only takes up to 12GB. Even 39GB free space won't work, it has to be above 40GB.
you need at least 40GB of space to download XCode on your macbook
If you already have Xcode installed and it's taking up a lot of space, removing it first may help bring the available space over the threshold.
That being said, this time it kept freezing when attempting to download/install 12.1 via the App Store, although there was enough space. However, downloading/installing via https://developer.apple.com/download/more/, as previously linked, worked. It doesn't need to be to/from an external drive if there is enough space.
Same issue for me Xcode 12.2.
Cleaning up storage to 40+ GB free space helped.

You must display this info on AppStore page.

I had the same issue as well. I freed up close to 41G to get mine to work as well.
I had the same problem using MacBook Air 2017. For me it worked after clearing about approximately 41.2 GB of space.
Clean all XCode caches by this app.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/devcleaner-for-xcode/id1388020431?mt=12

And it work.
Thank for Konrad Kolakowski
There's something not quite right with all of this and it should be looked into. In order for me to update to Xcode 12.4 I had to clear 45GB of space. Yes... 45GB! I ended up deleting stuff I needed just to work around this.

A large chunk of my disk space is already filled with Xcode and simulator related files. It would be nice if Apple could add in some features to clean this up once in a while, rather than having to rely on 3rd party disk sweepers to identify the issues.

Clear space up to 40 GB for XCode 13 (min 40 GB required). The issue will be resolved

Same issue here, started on 8Gb free space and the did a big clean up of files until I had 40Gb of free space and it was still displaying pop-up. Then I restarted the mac and it was fine.

46GB for a 13.2.1!