Is Apple Developer enrollment free?

I am trying to code in Xcode but I need a Apple Developer enrollment because "No code signing identities found".

I followed the page it led me to. I just wanted to know if the enrollment is free and if the issue will be fixed.

-Thank you for your time

Replies

Enrollment requires a USD$99 fee. However, for purposes of limited device testing, Apple provides 'free provisioning'.

Free provisioning/testing on your device:
• From within Xcode 7.x or higher (Mac only), navigate to “Xcode—->Preferences—->Accounts.” Hit the '+' icon below left to add your Apple ID*. After you add your account, it will show within the main account window on the right.

• Select your account, hit the “View Details” button and wait for them to load.

• Now create the 'signing identity' used to create a provisioning profile used for device testing - Hit the “Create” button next to the 'iOS development' label. When completed, hit ‘Done’.

• Connect your device and select it as build destination via the 'active scheme' dropdown to the right of the play and stop icons.

• In target's 'General' tab/settings:

• a. Set app identifier you want for your free profile

• b. Set team id as your apple id

• c. Hit 'Fix Issue' button below the provisioning profile warning

- You may have to ‘Fix Issue' more than once - keep at it so Xcode can step thru them as needed.

• Run your app with your device selected.**

Notes:

- The profile will be valid for 1 week, after which time you will need to recreate a new one.

- There is a limit to how many apps you can build and test to your device.

- Maximum number of devices allowed not known exactly, but if same as paid account, the limit is 100

- What you can/can't do w/free provisioning is listed here:

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/IDEs/Conceptual/AppDistributionGuide/SupportedCapabilities/SupportedCapabilities.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40012582-CH38-SW1

- If this is about creating an .ipa to manually hand off, select Build For Archiving under the project menu, not ‘Run’.

- *If you have, or plan to have, a paid developer account, be sure to use a unique/different apple ID for each account.

- **Free accounts may experience issues launching apps on the watch for the first time.

Workaround: Launch the app manually on the device and click “Trust” when the security sheet appears. You should then be able to launch the app from Xcode.

• Do you need to pay if you were already enrolled in the developer program before Apple changed it so you have to pay?

Add a Comment

By enrolling in the Apple Developer Program, individuals and organizations receive everything they need to develop apps for distribution. Members can distribute apps on the App Store for iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, Apple TV, and iMessage. They can also distribute software outside of the Mac App Store, as well as offer custom apps to specific businesses and proprietary apps to their employees on Apple Business Manager.