Is there an alternate method to verify a merchant domain?

I'm trying to get Apple Pay going on a Shopify site using Authorize.net. I have the text file I need to upload to /.well-known/apple-developer-merchantid-domain-association.txt. Shopify doesn't allow that sort of thing. I know Google will offer a meta tag to add to the header as an alternative when the text file isn't an option. I can't seem to find another method with Apple in this situation. Has anyone found a way around this?

Replies

You will need to add your text file to a publicly available domain to perform domain verification. I am not aware of an alternative for domain verification other than this method. See more on configuring Apple Pay on the Web here.

Matt Eaton
DTS Engineering, CoreOS
meaton3@apple.com
You have a few options, one is to use a proxy on the domain level. If you are using CloudFlare for the domain you can setup a service worker to rewrite the response of the URL (requires some work to setup and code).

You can also message Shopify and see if they have any direct ways to manage this, they do with payment processors like the built in Shopify one (Accelerated checkouts) and Stripe. If you do a quick search you can find the support article on Shopify about Apple Pay setup.

Can anyone give any more information on this topic? I'm going through the same exact issues.

Has anyone ever found a solution for this? Really need to figure it out.

I don not have a solution yet and Shopify has been terrible and providing support for this. After many support tickets and chats I was able to determine that selling Apple considered my store as selling pseudo-pharmaceutical products which is against TOS so therefore, Apple Pay won't work. I am in the process of contacting Apple for support to see what steps I can take next. The Shopify admin has no useful system prompts of logging that provided any of this information so it was very frustrating and like pulling teeth with Shopify support. I will provide an update if I get one.