Aspiring Developer

I'm still learning how to code and would love to get recommendations on how to learn swift/swiftui for iOS/macOS app development. Any recommendations are welcome :)
Answered by zmfrew in 613209022
I highly recommend Paul Hudson's intro programs at Hacking with Swift. He has a 100 Days of SwiftUI course, which would be an excellent place to start. It will walk you through learning Swift in the beginning then start building apps with SwiftUI. There's a ton of free content on his website ranging from beginner to advanced.

Additionally, John Sundell writes excellent content on his website Swift by Sundell. He has a basics section, which would complement the 100 Days of SwiftUI quite well. He also covers advanced topics and everything in between.
I recommend learning SwiftUI!

Also I've been making an app which lets you build an app! It basically lets you drag and drop SwiftUI components into a view hierarchy, and you can also edit the code! You can try it here http://testflight.apple.com/join/zElad2Q2

Sorry for the self promotion, but maybe my app would help :)
I am also starting out learning how to code. I learned basic coding techniques and vocabulary from the Playgrounds app on Mac/iPadOS(App Store). It’s free and it’s really nice. I also went for Codecademy.com and I am in the swift program and I have been learning much much more. It is a subscription based learning for $40 a month but I believe it’s worth it for the knowledge I am gaining.
𝐇𝐢,

𝐈 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐛𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐲 𝐭𝐨 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩 𝐲𝐨𝐮. 𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐟 𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐢𝐧 𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐒𝐰𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐔𝐈 𝐚𝐬 𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐚𝐬 𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐫 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐱𝐂𝐨𝐝𝐞⓵⓵.

G𝐨 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐩𝐩 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐨𝐫 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐲 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐡 𝐢𝐎𝐒 𝐜𝐨𝐝𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐰𝐢𝐟𝐭... 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐮𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐥𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐛𝐬𝐨𝐥𝐮𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐮𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞!

𝙋𝙡𝙚𝙖𝙨𝙚 𝙛𝙚𝙚𝙡 𝙛𝙧𝙚𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙘𝙝 𝙤𝙪𝙩 𝙛𝙤𝙧 𝙖𝙣𝙮 𝙤𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧 𝙦𝙪𝙚𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣𝙨 𝙤𝙧 𝙘𝙤𝙣𝙘𝙚𝙧𝙣𝙨 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙖𝙨 𝙖𝙡𝙬𝙖𝙮𝙨,

𝙃𝙖𝙥𝙥𝙮 𝘾𝙤𝙙𝙞𝙣𝙜,👍

Start first trying Swift Playgrounds on iPad or Mac. I know swift but during this summer I tried to practice a little more because for fault of my engineering electronics degree I don't have a lot of time for practice. When you have a good practice start on Xcode with Swift and SwiftUI. You will enjoy a lot. Think Different always 
I am pretty new to iOS programming myself, and these are some of the things that have helped me so far:
  • There is a cool app SoloLearn, where you can learn about different languages and techniques with Swift being one of them. I think it is pretty cool to just get started with some basics.

• I would also recommend for you to search in the Apple`s Books app for their official books on programming, app making, etc. They are all free and I find them very useful.

• Last but not least joining the Swift / iOS dev community on Twitter, has just been such a great experience for me! You will find great tips, articles, ideas and most importantly support.

Hi guy what can be the cause my developer account is not activated 5 days after I paid for it?

Hello, help me figure it out. A developer profile has been loaded on the Iphone 7 to get the IOS 14 beta 6 version. After the update, the smartphone hung and was restored via DFU. Now when you first turn it on, ask for a username and password in the remote control tab. I do not know this information. Tell me what to do, please?
Good Morning,

I am new to the apple developer, I am not a geek or knowledgable about coding, but I have few ideas for apps that could merge with the phone to make some things. But for the look of things, it seems that I need to know coding to create an app. So my question is, if I don't know coding, Im not able to create or help develop an app or how would it work?
Thanks all who have replied. I just started with coding in general and found the Swift Playgrounds "Everyone can code" (Mac or iPad) a nice and playful start. If you directly want to start, Apple also has a "Develop in Swift" series. You find all of it on the Teaching Code page at Apple.

Be aware that Xcode (and Swift) do change over time, I found it easiest to use resources that were developed for that version of Xcode.
"I need more help"

The most useful lesson nobody will teach you, so I guess I will. "I need more help" is a really poor question. Tech support forums are overrun with people asking questions like "help I need to code a thing" and .... nobody really can help, because its not *specific*.

When you do have a question, try explaining in detail what your trying to do, what you've tried to do, and then ask for help on how to solve single specific problems. "Where is a good place to learn swift" is a decent enough question because its asking about aolving a single specific problem, aquiring swift knowledge (I recomend Udemy by the way, lots of great courses and you can usually hunt around for a coupon code to get them dirt cheap). "How do I code swift" is a bad question , because your asking someone to pack an entire course into a single post. "I need more help", its not even clear what the question is!

Have a browse around on Stack Overflow if you want examples of *perfect* tech questions and perfect tech answers. They have a super strict moderation policy, and what escapes moderation is almost always excellent questions and answers.
With more than half of the world population using iOS applications need of developers are rising and so is the competition.So you need to be very good at it.
I am listing some of the most important skills you need to learn-
1-AppCoda
2-Swift
3-xcode
So at last Practice makes perfect. Don’t worry if you are failing just keep trying you will learn it easily after some practice..
Hope you liked my answer.

Hi, I personally found iOS courses by the following instructors extremely helpful:
On Udemy:
Angela Yu
David Kababyan
Nick Walter
And Chris Chng on Code With Chris.

Hope that helps, these are excellent teachers for beginners. I have launched 5 iOS apps Aso far thanks to these guys. And they respond pretty quickly in the relevant forum.
Good luck.
Developing on MacOS is pretty simple and straight forward, it would seem that the environment is setup so that one does not have to code much (in my opinion), one can just drag and drop features into the ViewController environment. The layouts are simple enough to use except when you get to constraining a Scrolling module.

Anyway, if you really want to start learning how to program SwiftUI/Swift/Mac, iOS apps. Start with something simple. Mine starter was a payroll calculator. Anyway, start with something simple, figure out what you want your program to do, design the UI (inputs, buttons, outputs, etc) then, switch to coding the app, approach it little by little (based on your current level of understadning), and begin with plugging in your UI components to your main script file. That is how I started out learning...

[ this might not be the response you are looking for but I stumbled onto this thread and had to throw in my 2 cents... ]
First of all, I suggest you search for "Stanford CS193p" in YouTube.
(We developers are not trusted enough by our fruity provider to post URLs into these forums, so you'll have to pretend it's 1991 and do it yourself.)
That will give you an excellent list of real world lectures by an fantastic tutor on Swift and SwiftUI - absolutely the best place to start.

Don't you just love the fact that this thread is over two months old, has loads of irrelevant answers, and other people 'hijacking' it to ask unrelated questions about iPhones.... yet it still appears as the most relevant thread when you enter Apple's developer forums? Nice!
Thank you for all replies. I am new as well and your advices are really helpful.
Just a remark.
Beware that unless you enroll in Apple Developer Program, you won't be able to install the app permanently on your iPhone beyond one week. That's 100$ /year
So Apple ecosystem (Xcode, swift...) is great if you want to learn to code. Not so well if you just are an enthusiast who wants to build apps for its own use.
Beware if you want to install permanently any app on you IOs devices, you'll need to enlist in the Apple Developer Program (99$/year);

So Apple ecosystem (Xcode, Swift, SwiftUI, ...) is great to learn to code, but not so great if you just want to use your own little apps for your own only usage.

An aspiring iOS developer myself, I bought 2 books for programming in iOS 14 / Swift 5.3 based on good reviews on prior versions. Then, based on someone's recommendation I also bought a highly-rated udemy course for iOS 13 / Swift 5 because it was on sale for $15 with a money-back guarantee so thought I had nothing to lose.

The books I bought:
"iOS 14 Programming Fundamentals with Swift" and "Programming iOS 14" by Matt Neuburg

The udemy course I bought: "iOS 13 & Swift 5 - The Complete iOS App Development Bootcamp" by Dr. Angela Yu

Maybe other aspiring developers will also find the above useful.

Now, a question I have which I believe can also help other aspiring developers, and which I ask especially to those with programming knowledge/experience in all of iOS 13, 14, Swift 5 to 5.3: are there enough differences between iOS 13-14 and Swift 5-5.3 to warrant skipping the udemy course (or any other course/material on the older versions, with regards to anyone who has learning materials for these different versions)? Or is mostly everything important the same so it may still be worthwhile?
I’m wondering if there’s a way to use Xcode on windows while my Mac OS being repaired, maybe some apple developer program to read and run the .xip file?
goodgoodaa
Thanks so much for the Stanford YouTube playlist and the Hacking With Swift site recommendations. They look like brilliant places to start!

After a turbulent 2020, I've decided to retrain as a developer for Apple platforms - to build more future proof skills. I'm starting with the Develop in Swift iBook series Apple published earlier this year to give me a jump start then I'll move in to more involved content like this.

Hello 👋 to everyone on the forums and looking forward to being a part of the developer community!
Thank you All for the information.

DxMinds is the best offshore app development company in Saudi Arabia provides best mobility solutions on Android, ioS platforms using platform-specific coding language. Being one of the best product engineering
company in in Saudi Arabia delivering customer-oriented applications leveraging technologies like AI, Chatbot, blockchain, IoT, Ml etc.
Get in touch with us
• India +91-7483546629

• North America +1 (833) DxMinds (396.4637)

• UAE +971-501529161
Do try hyperPad, its a visual coding app that lets you develop fully functional games on the iPad! Tutorials are available on YouTube & samples can be found on Instagram @hyper_pad
bbbbbbbb
Aspiring Developer

Q