macOS Big Sur Not Enough Free Space

Hi!

I've been attempting to install macOS Big Sur for the past day now and every time I try, it says I do not have enough free space. In the installer it says that I have 33.86 GB available, but in reality, I have about 108 GB available. That 33.86 GB keeps fluctuating too, every time I run it it changes.

I've attempted to restart my computer, delete more items off of my HD, delete the installer and profile and try again, all with no luck. Any ideas on how to solve this?
  • I am having the same issue, my MacBook says I only have 18 gb’s of free space and I pretty much deleted all the huge apps off my computer and nothing changed?? I’m confused!

• Same issue here.

• As all the others, I moved everything I could to iCloud. Don't have the Time Machine enabled. Still can't install.

Accepted Reply

Hi,

Are you using Time Machine, If so you may have local snapshots of them store locally on your Mac. (This is the issue I faced when installing)

Try this
Quoted from https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204015
"If you want to delete local snapshots manually, turn off Time Machine temporarily:
Open Time Machine preferences from the Time Machine menu  in the menu bar. Or choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Time Machine.
Deselect “Back Up Automatically” or click the Off/On switch, depending on what you see in Time Machine preferences.
Wait a few minutes to allow the local snapshots to be deleted. Then turn on Time Machine again. It remembers your back-up discs."

That that does not work try deleting it manually in the terminal.

Type tmutil listlocalsnapshots /
You should be presented with something like this com.apple.TimeMachine.2020-06-01-002010 (the number will be different)
If this appears
Type sudo tmutil deletelocalsnapshots 2020-06-01-002010 (substitution the ID presented before)

Hope this Helps
  • i don't have time machine on and never have and I'm still unable to download the update, i only have 18GB available but i barely have anything on my laptop that's taking up storage

• Teddy, what can I say. A year later, your answer is just as relevant. A guy like me goofing around trying to install Monterey beta on a separate APFS ended up in such deeper of a rabbit hole that I expected. Countless articles, forums, and videos (okay maybe like 50) constantly led me back to square one. I tried everything to get my Macintosh HD - Data configured to how much storage I was actually using from safe boot to first aiding everything in disk utility in recovery. Worn down - my stubborn self almost gave up and actually asked for help, till I came across this developer forum ❤️. Who knew it was that pathetic sluggish Seagate HDD. Toggling automatic backup and waiting didn’t work. Alas, the last option was terminal. And now no more phantom storage (: THANK YOU!

• works fine ! 150GB free now

Replies

If you confirmed that the macOS Big Sur patch is requiring more space than what it needs to be installed in your equipment (or conversely, there is plenty of space on your HD but the software upgrade is insisting you're out of, or need more, space), the issue stems from a defect in the patch, and not from your equipment. Apple Support had me create a New User profile on my machine to sign in with and then attempt the install, which worked for me (and hopefully resolves the same issue for others as well):

1 Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.
2 Click the lock , then enter an administrator name and password.
3 Click the add button (+) below the list of users.
4 Complete the fields shown for a Standard or Administrator account, then click Create Account (or OK).

...It is offensive to all technical disciplines (SDLC, QA and release management) for an enterprise like Apple to disburse a software upgrade--and one that is constructively mandatory, no less--on its customers that was clearly not ready for production. Guessing no one there ever heard of a Sev1 defect? This defect not only prevents the user from simply completely the install, which the user never asked for to begin with, but suggests the user's equipment is out of space (when it isn't), prevents unrelated files from being saved, and even solicits iCloud plan upgrades for otherwise unnecessary storage at a financial cost to the user! Anyone in Apple leadership who allowed such a deployment should be ashamed and take accountability (and take this feedback constructively: it is free, and you need to accept it, else it's time to move on to other career opportunities, since software development and leadership aren't your wheelhouse).
The tmutil deletelocalsnapshots / dosen't work someone pls help me the big sur is sooooooooo fustrating and teddy's one doens't work either.

SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!
I had this same issue. I called Apple customer service. They had me close out of the settings app and the Big Sur update app. And, then instead go to the App Store. Select the "get" button in the App Store for update from there. Worked like a charm!
Hi,

Just tried to instal Big Sur on my Macbook Air 2015. I created + 20 gb of free space.
I now have the macOS Big Sur installation file (12.2 gb) on my disk and (after deleting more files), 16,13 gb free disk space.
I can't do the installation, as the system requires another 19 gb extra free disk space, which I can never find.

I tried DeanGolbury's suggestion (installing with new user profile), but that didn't work.
Can I just delete the 12.2 gb macOS Big Sur installation file to get the disk space back (and continue working with Catalina, or will my mac stop working if I delete that file ?
Here are some pointers that helped me free up space:
  1. If you have TimeMachine enabled. Then delete snapshots

2. If you actively use Docker, then highly recommended to delete older snapshots using docker system prune -a

3. If you use Xcode then look for different versions that might be taking up space

HI, I'm having the same problem can anyone help? I've already deleted so many things. It didn't help at all.
I have a 128 Gig Mac Mini. I was ready to give up on Big Sur after seeing how much free space I needed to free up. Here's how I made the space available.
  1. Copy the Big Sur installer to a removable drive and remove it from your startup drive.

2. Run the installer to see how much more space you need.

3. Follow Apple instructions to offload Music and Photos libraries to a removable drive.

4. If you are a developer, you probably have a huge Developer folder in your user library. Copy it to a removable drive and remove it temporarily.

These steps worked for me and I was able to upgrade to Big Sur. The installer seemed to do a very good job of cleaning up OS X folders because I had 50 GB available after the install. Plenty of space to copy the Developer folder back to the startup drive.
Apple, Since when is it ok to take up 200gb to do incremental backups locally because you can't reach a remote disk...and then, as you approach only 20gb free, start trashing data? After trying to use time machine, we are going to other backup solutions, because this is the last time I want to lose data in my music setting and now have to figure out how to recover my massive iPhoto library, because you think there's no space left, after 2 backups couldn't reach a remove volume and backed up to the same disk time machine snapshots.

You really need to get it together, and test your software as USERS experience it, not as your autobot testing does. Data loss is the result of low space conditions CAUSE by your clunky, slow and unreliable Time Machine software.

Listen, don't remove, stop, and be aware that you are doing the worst thing a computer can do: KILL CUSTOMERS DATA because of bad software you sell people on using. There is no reason why, the backup should take priority over customers active production data!

Instead, why don't you tell the customer when you are below 100gb that local snapshots can't be taken to preserve the machine's integrity?

So many of Apple's OS problems could be fixed through common sense design. This is very important for apple's future in computing!
Check if you have backup of mobile phone setting and apps of iOS, it could free up as much as 20GB space.
Choose Apple menu  > About This Mac, click Storage and then Manage.

• This is by far the easiest and quickest way :)

Add a Comment
Apple screwed up big time on this. But here's the solution I found:
  1. Copy the MacOS Big Sur installer onto a remote drive.

2. Copy the Photo Library onto a remote drive.

3. Delete both of the above files off the internal memory of your Mac.

These two steps freed up over 30 GB of space on my machine.

3. Run the MacOS Big Sur Installer software from the remote drive.

The install was fast and went smoothly.
Thanks for this, this solved my problem!
Absolutely none of these solutions worked for me, none of them even displayed anything you guys are talking about in the slightest.
Go to file>find>photos. Delete as many unnecessary photos. Empty trash. Move the rest of the photos to iCloud Drive. Update to macOS Big Spur. Worked for me with to much disk space.
Disabling Time Machine worked like a charm for me!

I came into the problem as well. The Big Sur system has a secret data storage in data disk. You can not delete files from the system, until you restore them from recovery mode. I restore and reinstall the system, it behave as well. So this is a damn system. My disk is 1Tb, it can eat up to about 400GB. Damn it.

• Apple has a SERIOUS software Quality Assurance issue.

Bought new Macbook Pro with 500GB disk storage. Upgraded to Mac OS SUR and it basically BRICKED my hard drive sucking over 350GB!!

I have one folder that reports 80GB data. NOTHING ELSE and yet Apple Storage reports just 5GB available with a fat gray bar reporting "350GB" as "other data". My laptop is now useless !!

TimeMachine is disabled.

Apple tech support been equally useless. They screenshare. See the problem and ...

And do not even get me started on the number of times apple has bricked iphones by attempting to install an OS update without sufficient storage available !!

If the device can alert you to "storage full" then why does APPLE attempt an OS upgrade that fails and puts the device in the infinite boot loop?? What good is precision point hardware engineering when you can destroy a device (user data) with sloppy software??

Comp. Sci 101: DO NOT EXECUTE A PROGRAM WHEN YOU KNOW THERE IS INSUFFICIENT MEMORY TO COMPLETE THE TASK !!

Apple should be held accountable for willful destruction of property.

Add a Comment