iCloud for Mac is stuck on "waiting to upload"

This has been a bug for a while now on Mac OS. When you sync your desktop/documents folders with iCloud at random moments it gets stuck and never finish uploading. The folder says "waiting to upload" indefinitely. I notice it happens more often when you do a git commit on a folder that is synced with iCloud.

Are there any work around for that?
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of iamlogiq Down vote post of iamlogiq
126k views
  • Having the same problem. Won't sync either way and only says 'waiting to upload'. Using macOS Catalina.

• I have also noticed this behaviour since upgrading my 2015 MBP to Big Sur. Prior to Big Sur I did not notice this behaviour. That said, one thing different for me from others in this forum reporting this problem is that the only folder this is occurring on with me is not one synced to Git. Instead it is one linked to my Fujitsu scanner that is setup to automatically deposit pdf files into this folder once they are scanned. Prior to Big Sur these files would immediately begin synching to iCloud the second that they were created by the scanner software. the latest update before the problem started occurring was MacOS 11.4.

To work around problem, I noticed that any edit (to the file that fails to upload) will solve the problem. (E.g. a CMD-C and CMD-P forces not only the copy but the original to upload; A name change will force the file to upload; adding a tag to the file will force it to upload, etc.) I also noticed that if I use a python script to place a file in the folder, or I use the command line MV command to place a file in this folder - the problem does not occur and the file uploads fine. Thus I am tempted to hypothesize that the cause of this issue is a change in 11.4 that perhaps deprecated or broke an indexing function of the file system who's job it is to mark files that have changed for upload. The Git repo process and the Fujitsu sync process may be using an API call that is now no longer triggering the file to be marked for synch. Whatever the case - it is clearly a bug and it is sad that FruitCo developers are not paying any attention to their own developer forum when a topic has 19K upvotes. Wake up Fruiters!

Add a Comment

Replies

I don't know if this will work for everyone, but what I tried when I ran in to this was to go to the top folder where the problem was hitting me in Finder, the Get Info, and in Sharing & Permissions, I changed a permission, then chose the pulldown option "Apply to enclosed items". After I did this, the uploads kicked in in less than a minute.

Does anyone from Apple actually respond here and/or has someone filed an explicit ticket with Apple? Huge production-issue gap causing code sync failures across devices and, as far as I can tell, no response to actually resolve this in over 3 years. Pathetic.

SAME HERE I am on Monterey 12.7 But it is not a MacOS issue Happening on my iPhone 13 running on 17.0.2, both systems are upgraded to latest firmware respectively for each.

I did compress on Mac, it did kickstart the upload, but now it is stuck after some progress (assuming from pi chart icon it is like uploaded appx 90% and then stuck).

Same situation with MacBookPro M1 Max and Ventura 13.5.2.

The only two solutions so far are "Compressing / deleting / decompressing a folder" and "update OS / restart / toggle iCloud off-on". Neither are practical given the length of time required.

I think sync should "sense" update date-times on files, and act on such signals. But apparently MacOS is acting on some other condition. Does anyone have another solution to offer?

Thanks

For me I just had to reset my network (I.e. deleting the wifi network and re-adding it) and it began uploading all files for me - but I'm pretty sure my Mac (which is quite old) has an issue with network settings anyway. Just thought I'd share either way in case it works for anyone else!

At the top level in iCloud Drive in Finder, try clicking on the little grey cloud button on the folders that are waiting to upload. This kicks iCloud into action for these folders.

At least it does on my Ventura 13.2.1 set up.

I found something that worked for me when many of the other posted solutions didn't nudge the iCloud pie graph in finder. I just flipped the bird off. I went to Activity Monitor, searched for bird, and then force quitted it. Less than a second later the pie graph in Finder goes from a sliver to a full pie. In my case it seemed stuck on copying a 1.8MB file that probably no longer existed but wierd it didn't time out or give up.

• THANK...YOU!!!! This has been the BANE of my existence!!

Add a Comment

I Hope it helps, because it is quite specific.

I use a shared folder on two different macs and sometimes it happens that I forget an Emacs.app session opened on one of them. This stuck iCloud. Possibly, one Emacs.app temporary filenames is incompatible with iCloud. When Emacs.app closes the file, the iCloud sync restarts.

Ciao

Hi everyone!

Does anyone knows if this issue remains in Sonoma 14.3?

Thanks!

• I am still having this problem. Intermittent. I resort to sending files with Messenger and then saving them on my other devices. Very wasteful of my time. It should just work. This problem has been going on since atleast back as far as Sierra, High Sierra & I have had it now in Ventura and Sonoma. Everything up-to-date, Resets, etc. Since it works some of the time that proves that my system and my high speed fiber optic internet connection (250MB/s) are not the problem. Happens around the world.

Add a Comment

I have an iBookPro 2015. I have this problems for years. After reading a lot - and may der is the one from some others: Restart the synch. NOW, I simply renamed the file and / or folder. And then, oh wonder, all of my waiting symbols disappeared. So, from my point of view - dear developers - put a re-synch menu to the context - if you like configurable as expert modes or the like.