Demo video cannot locate board in simulator

Trying to run the demo project for wwc20-10099 in the simulator using the supplied sample.mov, the entire time the app has the "Locating board" overlay instead of finding the board before the bean bags begin to be tossed.

Is this due to the environment? Has anybody got the demo video to work?

Environment:
  • 2018 Mac mini, 3.0GHz, 6 core, 8GB memory

• Big Sur 11.0 beta 20A4299v

• XCode 12.0 beta 12A6159

• iOS default simulator in XCode 12 (a SE on OS 14)

Accepted Reply

Hi Eugene,

You might be running into issues because the app doesn't run properly on Simulator.

The 2nd section of the sample’s README says:

Configure the Project and Prepare Your Environment
You must run the sample app on a physical device with an A12 processor or later, running iOS 14.

The sample relies on hardware features that aren't available in Simulator, such as the Apple Neural Engine.
If you have a physical device that meets those requirements, try running the sample there and let us know how it goes. 🙂

Replies

A little more info. The simulator shows "The VNCoreMLTransform request failed" during the detectBoard() routine in SetupViewController.swift with the NSUnderlyingError domain com.apple.CoreML code = 0.

Any clues what to do about it? This is with the demo project unchanged other than the bundle ID and Team assigned.
Hi Eugene,

You might be running into issues because the app doesn't run properly on Simulator.

The 2nd section of the sample’s README says:

Configure the Project and Prepare Your Environment
You must run the sample app on a physical device with an A12 processor or later, running iOS 14.

The sample relies on hardware features that aren't available in Simulator, such as the Apple Neural Engine.
If you have a physical device that meets those requirements, try running the sample there and let us know how it goes. 🙂
Thanks for the reply. I had (obviously) missed that in the README. :(
No worries; it happens to the best of us. 🙂
I have the same issue on a real device iPhone 11 Pro in ios14 beta 4 with the following error:

Error Domain=com.apple.vis Code=12 "processing with VNANERuntimeProcessingDevice is not supported" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=processing with VNANERuntimeProcessingDevice is not supported}

Environment:
Big Sur 11.0 beta 20A5343i
XCode 12.0 beta 12A8179i
iPhone 11 Pro on iOS 14 beta 4