macOS Big Sur - Permission Issue

Hi

In macOS Catalina, when my enterprise app (MyApp) tries to access Desktop folder first time, user would get prompt message "<MyApp> would like to access files in your Desktop folder" and once user clicks OK, MyApp entry can be seen in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy -> Files and Folders and MyApp will be able to access Desktop folder without any issues.

With Big Sur Beta, I don't see above prompt and I can't also manually add/update MyApp entry in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy -> Files and Folders. The only entry I can see for MyApp is in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy -> Full Disk Access which is disabled by default. Once I manually enable this FDA (Full Disk Access) setting, MyApp starts working properly.

Since I couldn't get much related info from Beta release notes, I would like to know whether there are major changes w.r.t. app access in Big Sur? Is FDA enable the only option for app access or can we have more granular control (i.e., allow access only to Desktop folder)?

Thanks

Replies

After the upgrade, some programs stopped working: BlueStacks is one example. When I run it, it says:

"System extension blocked"
"Enable the extension from Security & Privacy System Preferences pane by clicking "Allow" button and BlueStacks will launch again."

Unfortunately, the "Allow" button did not appear. So I check the privacy settings, and manually enabled BlueStacks for the following:
  • Location Services

• Accessibility

• Full Disk Access

It is still not working. Every time I open BlueStacks, it gives the error above.

Thank you.

im having a problem with BlueStacks because the allow button is gone
Not sure this answers all parts of your question, but from the terminal command line, enter the command "spctl --status" if it shows "assessments enabled" then enter the command "spctl --master-disable" and vice versa for "assessments disabled". This changes the "Gatekeeper settings". The disabled setting provides a radio button for selecting from "anywhere" in your privacy settings.
All of this of course depends on whether your computer is company owned with policies set to prevent certain activities. If there are, there will be a "Profiles" section in System Preferences.
I am having similar issue in Big Sur. I give chrome location permission but when a website requests location nothing happens. I opened system settings and see that the check mark for location services for chrome automatically gets disabled. Please help.

What do I do If it says permission denied

• Does anybody know the answer to this? For the first time today, I'm getting permission denied on commands as simple as $spctl --status. Nothing has changed to knowledge from earlier today when I had no issues.

Add a Comment

Make sure that you sign in as root using "su" before running these commands: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204012