System Icons in macOS Big Sur

Hey guys! Was wondering if you guys knew where the macOS icons in BigSur are stored.
I checked in the following places and pretty much the whole /System/Library folder:

/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources -- where they usually are
Finder app in /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app
Dock app in that same directory
CoreTypes.bundle in /System/Volumes/<whatever your startup disk is named>/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/

I need those icons for stuff.
Please let me know if you guys know where they are!

Accepted Reply

Depends what you're looking for. Most icon files are ICNS (a few are TIFF or PNG), then there are the art files, and also SF Symbols (which is distributed as an app).

Replies

Depends what you're looking for. Most icon files are ICNS (a few are TIFF or PNG), then there are the art files, and also SF Symbols (which is distributed as an app).
I was looking for the icons of folders, DVD's, hard drives, USB Drives, etc. The stuff that is usually in CoreTypes.bundle in /System/Library/CoreServices
AHH how do I undo clicking onthe green checkmark

A standard installation should have e.g. /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/CDAudioVolumeIcon.icns. Is it missing from your copy?
/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/GenericFolderIcon.icns
Looks like most of the Big Sur generic disk icons can be found in: /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Assets.car

You'll need something like this GitHub project to open the .car file.
  • Do you know where the folder icons are stored? I checked Assets.car and there are no folders inside that package.

Add a Comment