Multi-User Touch ID

Hi All,

Just a quick question regarding the upgraded Touch ID and local authentication capabilities.

I want to use the built-in fingerprint scanner on a iPad to allow multiple people to log into a custom application, what i want to do is to try and use the fingerprint scanner to save/recall user info that i want to store within my application.

as example, an employee picks up an iPad, and by using the fingerprint scanner, while in the an application, the application should read the fingerprint of the employee and match that to a local database, if successful match, it will log the user into the application and display that user's specific information.

Would something like this be possible? any other suggestions would really be appreciated as i have everything else working as needed , except for the biometric side.

Thank you.

Replies

Sorry, TouchID doesn't support multi-user authentication, nor return enough information to figure out which fingerprint unlocked the app.

any update for this issue with latest ios please ?

Nothing has changed for this.

Any update for this issue in 2023? We would love to support multiple users on a single iPad through finger ID.

Any update for this issue in 2023?

No.

We would love to support multiple users on a single iPad through finger ID.

I’m not sure that adding support like this to every app makes sense. It seems like a better option would be to support multiple users on an iPad, just like we do on macOS. That’s possible in some setups, but it’s not a general feature )-:

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Thanks for your reply, eskimo. In our case, not all devices are under our MDM's control. Plus, it is extra work to set up and communicate to end users to switch from current setup.

Add a Comment

In the URL referred by Eskimo's reply, it stated that:

Multiple users can use the iPad, and the user experiences can be personal even though the devices are shared.

This seems to imply that iPad can identify unique users and apply their own personal profiles for each user when they login. Does this mean that we can take advantage of the unique user profile and associate user profile to our application credentials? If this is achievable, application developers can save application credentials into user profiles. In later logins, application can query user profile and retrieve the credentials and use it to login application. Can you confirm that this is possible? If I am not hallucinating, could you please point me to the right API documentations?