App Clips Associated Domains Issues

Hi Everyone, I am trying to get my advanced app clip experience set up but having a world of problems. I have 2 apps, both have associated domains set up (for both app and app clip) and both have an aasa file on the website, with the json validated. Followed the instructions of the wwdc presentation to the letter. My associated domains read like this:

Code Block
appclips:qktp.in
appclips:qktp.in/c

and my aasa reads like this:
Code Block
{
"appclips": {
"apps": [ "123456789.com.mycompanyname.myapp" ]
}
}

When I go to make the app clip experience, no matter how I type the url into the app clip experience url field, i always get:

This URL is not contained in your app’s associated domains. Update associated domains or use a different URL.

I thought I had this set up right...what am I missing?

• You need to add it in Xcode.

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

So here's what I had to do:

1) make sure the identifier in your aasa file is the one from the activity section from @rynning's comment and not the apple ID from the app information/general section of your app store listing, and

2) the aasa app itself needs to end in .Clip, and reference the app clip itself and not the main app...

Thanks for your help @rynning and @liazkam!

Replies

When you click on the build number in the App Store "Activity" tab, does it show the same app clip App ID? Generally, they look like this:

"123456789.com.mycompanyname.myapp.Clip"

If so, is the apple-app-site-association file in the .well-known subdirectory and served with Content-Type = application/json? You can use Postman to GET that file and check for that plus any other abnormalities with the way it's served.
In App Store Connect under Build you should have a list of current uploaded builds for this version.
If the build is uploaded with App Clips, the column HAS APP CLIPS should say YES.
The next column should be DOMAIN STATUS. It should also say if you have an issue with your AASA file.

Also, make sure you type the URL in the experience with https, and without in the entitlement. You have the latter correct
So here's what I had to do:

1) make sure the identifier in your aasa file is the one from the activity section from @rynning's comment and not the apple ID from the app information/general section of your app store listing, and

2) the aasa app itself needs to end in .Clip, and reference the app clip itself and not the main app...

Thanks for your help @rynning and @liazkam!
Also worth noting, it doesn't seem to work on sub directories unless the root directory is included as well...does anyone know if that is true?
I'm running into the same issue. @Benjamin-tc could you confirm the steps I took?

1. In Xcode, for my app and my app clip I added the associated domains for
Code Block
appclip:soosee.app

2. My AASA file looks like this:
Code Block {
"apps": ["TEAMIDFROMCORRECTPAGE.com.goodsnooze.allergy.Clip"]
}
}

No matter how I type in my url I still get the same error..
Code Block
This URL is not contained in your app’s associated domains. Update associated domains or use a different URL.

@rynning, any clue?
@jordi, it looks like your AASA file is not valid JSON.

Postman should return the file as content type application/json when you GET the url to the AASA file. (Not sure it's still actually required, but doesn't hurt.)

The app clip ID should match what you see when you click on the build number in the App Store Connect under "entitlements."
Thanks @rynning! It started working out of the blue all of a sudden. Maybe it was a caching issue!

Hi all,

We're dealing with issues about this topic for a week and after doing everything we read, still we cannot figure out what's wrong. In advanced app clip experience page, we type

Code Block
https://ourwebsite.com

and then we get:

Code Block

Our bundle id in the same page is selected in the form of com.company.appname.Clip with our app image and it's the only one.

In order to fix this, here's what we tried after reading here and other posts:

1-) We updated our AASA file two days ago, this is the result from Postman and checked with jsonlint:
Code Block json
{
"applinks": {
"apps": [],
"details": [{
"appID": "ABCDEF1G23.com.company.appname",
"paths": ["*"]
}]
},
"apps": ["ABCDEF1G23.com.company.appname.Clip"]
}
}

Nothing changed after this, we still receive this error.

2-) To Xcode, we added:

Code Block json
applinks:ourwebsite.com
applinks:companyname.page.link
appclips:ourwebsite.com

in main target and

Code Block json
appclips:ourwebsite.com

in app clip target under associated domains.

What's more interesting here is, when we check domain status under build section, along with HAS APP CLIP : YES, it says "1 invalid domain" with a red cross under DOMAIN STATUS part. When we click view status, under cache and debug status columns it says "Insecure Redirects Forbidden".

It has been two days and no change... Any ideas, especially about last one? @rynning @liazkam

Thanks in advance.
@otaliptus, assuming your (.Clip) app ID is correct, I'm wondering if when you go to
Code Block
https://ourwebsite.com

that your server is redirecting to
Code Block
http://www.ourwebsite.com

then to
Code Block
https://www.ourwebsite.com

or something like that.

Redirect Detective or sites like that might help you determine what's going on. If there are redirects happening, you may be able to fix it by including www in your domain:
Code Block
www.ourwebsite.com

Thanks for the tip, @rynning. Unfortunately it didn't work too.

It's redirecting so maybe we should make some modifications on our website. I'll update here when we find a solution.
We found a solution to overcome this problem after the broken steps that I wrote earlier.

We configured our associated domain section for App Clip target like this:

Code Block json
appclips:website.com
applinks:website.com

Basically, we added an applinks part and it worked. Thanks for all help!

Hi there, having the same issues as above:

Could anyone confirm whether or not the app clip's bundle ID needs to end in .Clip? Apple's documentation says the following

"An app identifier for the App Clip, using the full app’s app identifier as its prefix, followed by a string. For example, if your full app’s app identifier is $(AppIdentifierPrefix)com.example.MyApp, the App Clip’s app identifier would be $(AppIdentifierPrefix)com.example.MyApp.Clip."

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/app_clips/creating_an_app_clip_with_xcode

@rresma,

The documentation is indeed vague. I can confirm that at least for now, Apple doesn't enforce the last string, so we were able to use .appclip for example as the suffix.

Yet, in every doc and video Apple state the suffix is .Clip, as if it is mandatory. So here at AppsFlyer, we decided to with .Clip as mandatory.