Books on MacOS Big Sur not showing my PDFs

Hi,
I've had several PDF books/articles catalogued in Books, and now they are all completely gone (all but 1!) in Big Sur.
I use iCloud, and they were synced there as well, as I could see these same files on my phone or iPad.
Is this expected behavior? Where have my files gone?

thanks,
Alex

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of asiufy Down vote post of asiufy
4.7k views
  • For some time. I could not fix the issue and found the solution today. Go to System Settings -> Apple Id -> iCloud ->

iCloud Drive -> Apps Syncing to iCloud Drive -> Switch on BooksApps Using iCloud -> Show All -> Switch on Books

For sure you need to be logged-in with your apple id in the Books app etc.

Add a Comment

Replies

Agreed, NOT working for me either. Everything is gone in books on Big Sur. Don't see the option in iCloud on Mac Big Sur. Also I have tried everything in the settings for the book app.
Same here, They are there but neither the book or the miniature gets downloaded at any point.
Any issue about this problem? The same happens to me too. PDF are there on my iPad, but on my mac the name is there with an empty cover and the download doesn't start. No way to access them.
I’ve the same problem.Many books in iCloud but I can’t download on my Mac.How fix it?
The same issue here. With one exception. Now iBooks displays some files that clearly had been deleted years ago. Any ideas on how to fix it?
Same problem here. Books added on mac does not sync to icloud. No icloud settings for books available? Big sur 11.1 on Macmini 2018

updated on macOS Big Sur 11.1 and still have same problem.
Finally I just discovered today a new checkbox on preferences iCloud for books and everything came back to normal.
I figured it out. I had books synced under my iCloud and books still wasn't syncing. What fixed it for me was opening books, toggling the store tab, and then authorizing my computer to purchase books.
Had the same problem. For me it also helped to go to a store page in the books app and download any of the free Apple manuals to trigger the authorization. Right after i signed in the downloads started.

I also had this problem. The issue was that I expected Books on MacOS to just "work", meaning automatically know it's me using the app. That was not the case.

Simple fix: Open Books, go to the Store tab in the menu toolbar, then click Sign In.

I'm having a huge issue with the books app on macOS Monterey where I can't open my pdfs and sometimes even ebooks files, when I tap on a book twice to open it. It showed running number above for importing e.g. importing 15 of 15 and the numbers keep rising to thousands (i don't have thousands of books obvouisly).i tried resetting , bluh bluh bluh and nothing worked .pls help

I'm also having same problem as SUHAIB_AL_RUMI - I see most of documents, but when double clicking them, nothing happens - tried logging-off etc but nothing helped.

I am experiencing exactly the same problems as SUHAIB_AL_RUMI and Memphis264. I tried to open pdfs by double clicking on them, but it does not work at all.

• I too had same problem and this worked for me (Monterey OS).. try and see

System Preferences --> Apple ID --> Options - iCloud Drive --> Check on Books in Documents tab

Add a Comment