iOS 14 can't use port '55555' for socket connection

We have encountered issue with our network device communication with our iOS app and found that we can't use port '55555' anymore on iOS14 devices. Can anyone share the details on why port '55555' became unavailable?

Following thread will give you more insights to the problem.

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/659524

Accepted Reply

Someone pinged me about this via email so I thought I’d post a status update here.

Back on 29 Sep we seeded iOS 14.2b2 and, as my pinger pointed out, they still see the problem on that system. That matches my understand of this situation. I can’t speculate about the future but, to repeat my advice below, I recommend that you continue testing with 14.2 betas as we seed them.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Replies

I raised this issue internally and it turned out to be much more complex than I was expecting. We now have a bug tracking it (r. 68571291).

It’s hard to predict when that will be fixed. The best workaround is to move off that port yourself. If that’s not possible then, alas, you’ll have to wait for a fix.

Share and Enjoy

Thanks for the response @eskimo, hopefully they fix this before iOS 14 is released because it will hurt us, the issue we have is that we have the remote control in the field and the only way to upgrade the firmware is to connect to it, so this is a catch 22. And looking at threads other businesses are having similar issues because they used the same port number. So please relay this to those internal to ensure they don't release iOS 14 without that fix if possible. Asking consumers to mail back their remotes and we ship them new remotes will be expensive not to mention we may lose clients and some may just ask for refunds and give us bad publicity. And even if we tell them this was an apple bug the damage will be done.
Thanks 'Eskimo' for raising a bug for this defect. Please keep us posted on updates.

It’s hard to predict when that will be fixed.

Unfortunately this missed the iOS 14.0 train )-: I recommend that you continue testing with any post-iOS 14.0 betas as we seed them.

Share and Enjoy

Tested with iOS 14.2 Beta 1. Still not fixed.

Tested with iOS 14.2 Beta 1. Still not fixed.

Indeed, but don’t give up (-:

Share and Enjoy

Someone pinged me about this via email so I thought I’d post a status update here.

Back on 29 Sep we seeded iOS 14.2b2 and, as my pinger pointed out, they still see the problem on that system. That matches my understand of this situation. I can’t speculate about the future but, to repeat my advice below, I recommend that you continue testing with 14.2 betas as we seed them.

Share and Enjoy

We have tested against iOS 14 b3 and the issue is resolved. Now we can use '55555' for network connections. Thanks eskimo for your valuable inputs. Now looking forward to the public release.